cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports US Open Tennis coverage

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sky Sports is providing all court coverage of the US Open Tennis from today (28 Aug).

Channel 508/518 becomes Sky Sports Tennis.

Streams for the additional courts can be found on channels 561 to 576.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The US Open Tennis is being broadcast on these channels.

501 Sky Sports Main Event HD
507 Sky Sports Action HD
508 Sky Tennis HD
511 Sky Sports Main Event
517 Sky Sports Action
518 Sky Tennis
532 Sky Sports Main Event UHD
535 Sky Sports Ulta HD 2

Video information for UHD is:
Resolution: 2160p50
HDR format: HLG
Colour space: BT.2020
Bit depth: 12-bit
Pixel format: YCbCr 4:2:2

Audio is stereo.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

havensent
Tuning in

Hi

The channels 561 to 576 are all greyed out for me saying subscription required. I do subscribe to Sky Sports through Virgin (not the HD channels) and am on Maxit tv package should this entitle me to see these channels?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

These channels are all HD, so refer to my post for the three SD channels you need.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

splashyellow
Settling in

I think havensent - perhaps - like me is wondering why those of us who subscribe to Sky Sports but not the HD version are penalised in not being able to view all the matches. The Red Button isn't working to enable us to view all the courts via that option either (gives the error "There are currently no interactive events on this channel").

Is there someone from Virgin who can explain when/if this will ever be fixed? I use a Virgin TV V6 box and have restarted it and tried it on channel 513 as suggested in another feed.

Explanation would be appreciated.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@splashyellow wrote:

I think havensent - perhaps - like me is wondering why those of us who subscribe to Sky Sports but not the HD version are penalised in not being able to view all the matches. The Red Button isn't working to enable us to view all the courts via that option either (gives the error "There are currently no interactive events on this channel").

Is there someone from Virgin who can explain when/if this will ever be fixed? I use a Virgin TV V6 box and have restarted it and tried it on channel 513 as suggested in another feed.

Explanation would be appreciated.

As usual this is a Sky decision & nothing to do with Virgin. The channels are provided to Virgin in raw HD format direct from Sky. SD channels are sourced from the Astra satellite cluster that Sky's dish customers use. Sky have made the decision not to distribute ANY HD or SD satellite feeds of these additional channels, meaning even Sky customers with their older Sky+HD boxes cannot access the channels.

As far as Sky are concerned if you pay for HD on Virgin you get HD. If you don't, you won't.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

havensent
Tuning in

I did fear when the tennis rights moved from amazon to sky if we would end up with just 2 streams and that is what has occurred. Channel 511 and 518 are showing the same stream (why not show a 3rd match?) and in SD so clearly it is possible to show these streams in SD. Red button access is non existent and we are all paying a lot of money for a Sky Sports subscription whether this is through Virgin or anyone else.

havensent
Tuning in

Channel 511 is the same as 518 so 2 matches coverage only. I feared this sort of thing would happen when the tennis rights moved from amazon to sky. Channels 511, 517 and 518 all being provided in SD not HD so clearly it's possible to stream everything in SD. We pay for Sky Sports via Virgin Media and presumably need to pay even more to access these streams?!

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@havensent wrote:

Channel 511 is the same as 518 so 2 matches coverage only. I feared this sort of thing would happen when the tennis rights moved from amazon to sky. Channels 511, 517 and 518 all being provided in SD not HD so clearly it's possible to stream everything in SD. We pay for Sky Sports via Virgin Media and presumably need to pay even more to access these streams?!

Of course it's possible, but Sky aren't providing these streams to anyone in SD, not even their own subscribers.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The SD streams for the additional Sky Sports Tennis channels are available on a mobile or tablet if you use the Sky Sports app, however the extra streams aren't available using a computer. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali