Menu
nickking
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sky HD channels picture quality (especially movies)

Is anyone else experiencing poor quality HD on Virgin Media?  The football on Sky recently I think has looked very poor, especially compared with BT (the 4K is sensational).

The movies are also terrible, the colours look washed out and the detail is not even DVD quality.

We have 4x V6 boxes, 2x LG 4K TV's, 1x Samsung 4K TV and 1x Samsung Full HD TV.  All are either using the HDMI cable that came with the V6 or certified hi-speed HDMI cables.  It's the same issue on all setups.

I did a quick comparison between a Blu Ray I own and a movie currently showing on Sky Cinema HD, I understand they aren't going to be identical but it really shows how poor the HD quality is on Sky Movies HD.

I posted on Twitter asking both Sky and Virgin Media the question, the response the following day was "is it any better today"... no, no it's not.

IMG_5675.JPGIMG_5677.JPG

0 Kudos
michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky HD channels picture quality (especially movies)

It may be an idea to check to see if there are any know faults in your area via the Check service status link.

If there are no known issues then you would need to call Virgin, it is far quicker then waiting for a moderator to reply.

150 from your Virgin Media phone or mobile or 03454541111 from any phone

Lines are open Mon to Fri 8am-9pm, Sat 8am-8pm, Sun 8am-6pm.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello nickking

Thank you for taking the time to contact us via the forums and welcome to the community.

Have you been able to check the service status checker as recommended by michaeldavis? If so, was there anything reported?

Does this happen across all Sky Movie channels or one in particular?

Rob

0 Kudos
nickking
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Morning,

Yes I checked and zero issues, it's an on-going problem. The movie channels are just really poor quality / low bitrate, they've become worse over time and I've seen loads of forum posts about them (not just from VM customers but from Sky customers).

I don't know if it's become worse with the V6 though, ideally could do with an option to turn off upscaling and let the TV deal with it. I'm "guessing" by changing the output to 1080p that would cause a problem with the 4K content I watch (BT/VM channel etc).

Thanks for your response.

Nick.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rule_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us, Nick. I appreciate you've already check this and I apologise as this is an ongoing issue.

We would really want to get this sorted and we can do this via online chat.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Rule_C

0 Kudos