Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Signing for deaf

How do I get rid of the signing person on the bottom RH of the screen. I have just had a V6 box installed and my old TiVo box fitted to another TV. Since then some recordings have had the person using sign language on the screen. He is quite large and is a major distraction to the main viewing, so much so that we have switched the programs off. I've looked in settings but I can't see any obvious way to delete this feature. Any ideas please. Thanks and regards John 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Signing for deaf

You can't turn those off, they are part of the broadcast. Quite often though these are repeats and the first showing might not include them.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for letting me know and for your time. Much appreciated. Regards John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No problem, glad it answered your query for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for asking an very important question prior to our engaging in a Virgin Media contract. I was curious because some years ago when we previously had Virgin all we had to do was to telephone them and the signer was removed by them. Seeing as this is apparently now not possible to do then we shall not be signing with Virgin Media to have our viewing of popular programs disrupted for a small minority of deaf persons who doubtless are also fully capable of reading subtitles which can be disabled by the viewer in their own tv settings. Obviously the same or very similar technology is utilised to add either subtitles or a signer to the viewing area so why is it now not allowed or possible to be removed? Does the deaf minority now rule the majority? 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To be honest, I’ve never heard such a ridiculous reason in my life.

Signing for the deaf is ESSENTIAL for those that need it.

On ALL platforms it is broadcast and CANNOT BE REMOVED.

It only affects a few programs, during the night and these are generally repeats of programs already shown without signing.

There are news programs with signing on the BBC News channel during the day but these are also shown at the same time on BBC1.

Your attitude to disability says a lot about you. Good luck in finding a supplier. All operate the same way in respect of this issue.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What are you talking about! 

The person signing is and always has been part of the broadcast and cannot be added or taken away by Virgin Media, Sky, BT or any other provider. 

Programs that are broadcast with this service are usually done so late at night or in the early morning and somethimes at the weekend, cebeebies for example.

If you are experiencing this then you have asked your box to record the wrong showing of the particular program.

As for your comments regarding the deaf, it is clear you are an incredibly small minded person who's full of self importance. Glad to hear your not signing up with Virgin, the less of your kind on this forum the better.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, but you can't turn off the sign language person.  They're part of the broadcast. I have my funny, but useful way to get rid of it. I tested it out.

Things that you will need:

• 1 paper sheet
  • some transparent tape
  1. Stick some tape on the top to the paper sheet. Most of the tape should stick out, so that it can be sticked onto the TV.
  2. Find a programme with a signing person. Now test your invention. Stick the sheet to the signer's head, so that the sheet will cover the entire sign language translator. Not small enough? Use another piece of paper. If the programme is done, peel the sheet. And you're done. 

I have tested this way and works Smiley Happy