Menu
smokie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Sharing TiVos

Really due to Virgin's poor tech support and unwillingness to listen I had to have my Lounge TiVo replaced a few months ago. They insisted I had a V6 which i really didn't want. Anyway - in the bedroom I have a 500Gb old style TiVo.

Both boxes are attached to my LAN and we used to quite happily watch one TiVo from the other, and backup season passes etc. They both have local IP addresses and can both be pinged. The old TiVo has a Media Key but the new one doesn't.

From the old TiVo I can see the new TiVo at the bottom of My Shows and watch recordings on the lounge TiVo in the bedroom.

However I can't see the bedroom shows from the V6 in the lounge. The bedroom TiVo does not appear in the list.

Both TiVos have a media access key. I have tried forcing an update although it will have done this many many times itself. I can see and manage both of then on my Android.

Any idea how I can fix this please?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sharing TiVos

Perhaps a daft question, but for elimination purposes... you have restarted both boxes haven't you?

Out of interest, why didn't you want a V6 instead of a TiVo? It's a much better box!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
smokie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sharing TiVos

Yes they've both been restarted.

It is a better box but I was well set up with the old box for what I need. I've been a TiVo user since long before Virgin got their hands on it (with a Thomson) and they have effectively taken away a lot of functionality and locked it down.

Reasons for not wanting a V6 -

1) mainly because I considered it unnecessary. I was getting pixellation simultaneously on both boxes so it had to be an "outside" problem but the call centre insisted one box was changed before they'd re-do the cable from the road into the house (which was what eventually fixed it). What should have taken one, maybe two, engineer visits eventually took about 7 visits and more than 7) long calls.

2) also because I used the SCART outlet to drive another telly (via an underfloor coax cable) in a different part of the house, which the V6 doesn't have

3) less importantly though annoying in view of 1) I tend to keep some stuff to watch again, and there was stuff on there I'd like to have seen but hadn't got round to, and of course Virgin have chosen to not be able to move stuff from one box to another during replacement. They couldn't/wouldn/t recommission the old box for me once they'd finally replaced the cable and fixed it.

Still this saga has prompted me to get a couple of Firesticks and look at other sources of entertainment and I think medium term I'll be able to wave goodbye to the TiVos and their cost.

0 Kudos