Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Series link anomalies?

My TIVO box has seemingly developed a problem with series links that have not, until recently, been an issue.  Most programmes I set a series link for are fine but others, seemingly at random, will not activate a series link.  I can set to record individual programmes fine.  But trying to set a series link will sometimes be fine, other times the system will just not set a recording at all.  I have tried using various options for programmes; selecting just "new" or "new and reruns" (as appropriate).  I have tried "from series 1" or "from series n",  Sometimes the system seems to decide to eventually, after setting individual programmes to record, that it will then give a series link.  Other times I can ONLY set individual programmes and it never allows a series link.  Does not seem to be any one programme or channel affected but seems to entirely random.  Help and advice is welcome as it is driving me mad right now.  Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Series link anomalies?

Do you have any specific examples?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Most recent example was RHS Hampton Court which was meant to link this week but vanished (showing as unavailable / duplicate in the recording problems list). Dream Home - Brother Vs Brother would not link at all and showed no problems in the hiccup list.  24hrs in  A&E would not link at all when we tried to set recording.  So 3 different problems there.  I can certainly provide other examples if that would help but these are first three to spring to mind from the last few days this week.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm not near my box to check immediately, but just a couple of thoughts spring to mind..

RHS Hampton Court is on BBC2? and therefore possibly caught up in some sports-related schedule changes - you say it shows as unavailable/duplicate? I'd have expected these to be mutually exclusive, i.e. it was either unavailable (by being removed from the schedule) or duplicate (in which case a copy of an episode you'd already recorded)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, this may well be the case for Hampton court ( I can get it on iPlayer so will not miss totally) but the others are just a mystery to me so far.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok here goes..

Dream Home Brother vs Brother, I'm seeing various showings across W and spinoffs, but they're showing first-aired-dates from 2018. Are your series links set to record "new only", as this would immediately explain that behavour? You'd be looking for recording "new & reruns" or "everything" to catch these, depending on your preferences.

24-Hours in A&E: There seem to be 2 strands, 1 on C4 & 4-Seven which are fresh showings, the other on More 4 which appear to be repeats. Let's check your series link settings - are they for all channels, or specific ones?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for looking at the problems I am having.

Brother Vs Brother is set to record on W with the options of "new and reruns" and "from series 1" but still I can only get individual episodes by selecting "record this episode".  Series link stubbornly refuses to set at all for this show.

I have managed to get recording of the series for 24 hrs in A&E by selecting C4 AD (whatever that is) but the normal C4 HD channel will not let me link the series regardless of what options I set on the system.  

Inside the Operating Theatre on W HD is another programme that I can seemingly only these days selecting individual programmes to record.  My system is set for "from series 1" and "new and reruns" and yet will not recognise the series.  

Many other programmes I can list all record as series without problem so the issue seems to be quite random.

Thanks again for help thus far.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm beginning to wonder if your issues are perhaps more generic, so let's give this a try..

C4 AD is basically a simulcast of C4 SD, but with the option of Audio Description for the hearing impaired, you'll find equivalents for BBC1 etc in the 851-856 range. TiVo scheduling logic seems to use these channels in preference to the SD versions for some reason. The file size is the same, you have the option of AD so there's certainly no harm.

In terms of the various "what do I record" options, can I just check you know what each one does?

"Record new only" - records just new showings, where the first-aired-date is now, or a repeat showing if the first one had a recording clash.

"Record new and reruns" - also records repeat episodes as long as your TiVo hasn't recorded the same episode in the previous 30days (or is it 28, not sure) - but it only gets one copy of each episode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for sticking with this issue.

I can confirm that I was aware of the new /new and rerun rules that the system uses other than the 28/30 day time limit but thanks for double checking with me.

On the 24hrs in A&E issue I noticed when checking against your responses that there was a series link now for the reruns on More4 HD but the new editions on C4 HD were not shown as recording.  I assumed this might be because of the C4 AD recordings being scheduled.  So I have now deleted all the programmes of that name from my planner, reset the options as "new and old" and "from series 1" and then tried (unsuccessfully thus far) to scheduled a new episode on Channel 4 this Tuesday.  I am thinking that the system may well take a while to make all the actual deletes behind the scenes and to process the link option parameters.  This being so I will look again later and see if the system as deigned to record any of these programmes and, if so, which one(s).

As for the Brother Vs Brother scheduling, I still can't series link any of these.  I have just one set to record right now and with the same new/old/from series 1 parameters set for the series link. There is nothing else set for this series in the scheduler thus far.

I could not see any other series (old or new) that I have tried to series link as showing any problem on the planner so right now it looks like it is just these two shows that I am still having an issue with.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You might find that If you have previously set a single recording for an episode, then cancelled it (while experimenting), the series link will not pick up that episode as the box 'remembers' that you have cancelled it previously and so believes that you do not want to record it.

This may expain some of the problems.

0 Kudos