cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Series Link icon and recording hit and miss, since around 29/04/23

WelshGasman
Superfast
Hi all,
Looking for some assistance if possible please. Not getting anywhere with tech support on the phone, but admittedly this is a weird one.

I 'was' recording a particular program on the Really channel 128.
Going to watch a few episodes in My Shows, I discovered that there were no recordings. 😞

Going to the guide, I discovered that I had lost all the Series Link icons that show you what you have selected.

So on the phone I went last week to Virgin, and spoke to a gentleman in South Africa.
Whilst on the phone with him, I tried recording a program on the same channel using Series Link. That did create and indicate a SL.
I cancelled the SL on my particular program, as if you press R again, it asks if you want to amend the SL, so it knows that there is a SL on that program, just that it is not showing it, nor is it recording it.
Created the SL again. The box goes through the motions, but again no indicator.

This call was being passed up to the next team, but never heard from them.

So tonight I put in a call again and explained the issue all over again to a young lady.
Whilst doing that I went into My Shows and looked for a progam that I had a SL on and had recent recordings for. Found one that was on channel 147, so I went to that in the Guide and it did not show any SL?

I pressed record button and was asked if I wanted to change the SL. I cancelede the SL and added it again with the record button. Again no indictator, which I have found to my cost means it will not record.

Looking through my shows, I found another SL that appears to have stopped since 29/04/23.
I was originally recording the program on channel 128 which started this quest.

Tech support have run diagnostics on the box twice and nothing reported, but something screwy is going on with this.

It now appears to be random whether I get the R icons and a correct SL, or not?

So!, does anyone have any ideas please.?

I feel I have carried out a fair bit of debugging for VM, but they do not appear to have any answers to this issue.
They say as the box does not show any faults, it cannot be replaced?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The SL icon will only show in the EPG when that programme is scheduled to record.

If either of the criteria I mentioned in post#4 above apply, then that programme won't record and the SL icon won't show against it. If there are no currently scheduled programmes against an SL, it will be dimmed in the MSL screen.

Also.. if you manually cancel an SL recording, it will flag that episode as not-to-record for 30days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @WelshGasman 

The Forum Team don't tend to monitor posts in the natter/chatter forums.

If you state which TV platform you are having the issues on ie tivo, V6 or 360 then we can move your post to the appropriate forum.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

OK, sorry about that.
I have a TIVO box, or so I have been told.
Info shows as 20230504_200753.jpg

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@WelshGasman wrote:

Whilst on the phone with him, I tried recording a program on the same channel using Series Link. That did create and indicate a SL.
I cancelled the SL on my particular program, as if you press R again, it asks if you want to amend the SL, so it knows that there is a SL on that program, just that it is not showing it, nor is it recording it.
Created the SL again. The box goes through the motions, but again no indicator.

TiVo-software series-links are not timeslot-specific. What you've described is normal behaviour in one of two scenarios.

1: There are no programmes matching your SL-settings. If you're on a UKTV channel, it's possibly your SL is set for "new only" and the episodes you're selecting are not new.

2: There is an earlier showing of a particular episode & your TiVo/V6 is picking up that earlier slot - the later slot is considered a duplicate and not recorded.

Post up some specific details - your SL settings, and the date/time/channel of the seemingly rogue episode. I'll compare.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi japitts,

Thanks for the reply.

Firstly all I have ever done since I got the box, is find a program, set a series link, and that was it.

SL settings are default. New and reruns.

I used to be able to see what programs I had a SL on with the triple R icon. They all disappeared.

Program that started all this is Dr Jeff, RockyMountain Vet on channel 128.

However as I mentioned, that other program that I had two recent episodes of '24 Hours in A&E' on channel 147 has the same issue.

These issues have only just started, and I have had this box for a good few years now.

20230504_211538.jpg

WelshGasman
Superfast

Dr Jeff is on at 4pm, Mon to Fri
24 Hours in A&E is on at 11pm Mon to Fri at least.

I can manually record Dr Jeff for individual programs, not tried for 24 Hours as that was just a random program selected in an attempt to debug issue.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A test SL I've tried for Dr Jeff, picks up all daily episodes. They all look to be repeats though, so I wonder if your box has recorded these at some point in the past 30days - that would be enough to trigger them as duplicates. If you alter your SL settings to be "everything", does that schedule them?

Go into your "Recording Hiccups" folder, it should list each of the 4pm showings with a reason for non-recording. What is shown there?

WelshGasman
Superfast

I have never been into Recording Hiccups, did not even know it existed. 🙂
I have plenty of programs in there marked as Duplicates, some being Animal Cops Houston, which I can add a SL to and see the SL icon?
No mention of dr Jeff in there at all.
I will set the SL to everything, but would still ask why no icon when a SL is set for a program(s)?

I did go into Manage SL last week and could see that 99 slots were taken up, despite most being dimmed.
However I deleted a bunch of them to get down to 88.

Just been in again and deleted a lot of the dimmed entries. Now down to around 40.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The SL icon will only show in the EPG when that programme is scheduled to record.

If either of the criteria I mentioned in post#4 above apply, then that programme won't record and the SL icon won't show against it. If there are no currently scheduled programmes against an SL, it will be dimmed in the MSL screen.

Also.. if you manually cancel an SL recording, it will flag that episode as not-to-record for 30days.

WelshGasman
Superfast

Thank you japitts,
I have set the SL option to Everything and will monitor the recordings.

Would be really helpful to have post numbers in the threads? 😞