Menu
Cmccabe1983
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Second box no coax

Hi,

I’ve been sent a second v6 box as part of my package and been told to set this up via QuickStart due to no engineers visits. Despite me telling them that this is not possible as I do not have a second coax port, CS just keep telling me that it is easy to set up. 

My question is, if I unplug my main box and then plug this one in to set it up, will it work for OD services on demand over WiFi? Or do they come down the cable? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Cmccabe1983
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: HELP!

Well my second V6 box has arrived as expected, at least it’s a good ornament! I rang CS to say it was pointless sending it to me but they’re adamant it can be installed easily with QuickStart! Unless it works wirelessly, I think not 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Second box no coax

If no live channels are detected the box will not boot as it will hang at the loading channels stage. So unless you can get it to the new location without unplugging the mains cable, the answer is no.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cmccabe1983
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! It will have to remain an ornament 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

VM will announce, hopefully later this year, when there will be a resumption of installation of additional sockets.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cmccabe1983,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Really sorry to hear that you've been advised that you can install your additional box without the co-axel cable needed.

This is not the case at all, you will always need to have an additional port installed, this is why we only book additional outlets as a manned installation not a QS order.

We can only apologise that this has happened as we are not doing any non essential installs at present due to the current pandemic. This will change eventually but currently we don't have any date for this as yet. For more information about this check here .

Until this time we are unable to book you a manned install for your additional box at this present time. As soon as we have anymore information we will inform our customers and get you booked in as soon as we possibly can. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

0 Kudos
Cmccabe1983
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jodi! 
Thanks for the reply, this box has now been delivered and obviously I can’t do anything with it... do I just keep it until it can be installed or send it back? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hope Jodi (or whoever's on tonight) won't mind me interjecting here...

Your best bet is to keep the additional box in a safe place, and once restrictions change to allow non-essential home visits to resume, then you'll have the kit already - and make the additional install that bit easier.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me Cmccabe1983,

As our valued member japitts has advised, please can you keep your additional box in a safe place until we can come and install this for you.

We appreciate this is not an ideal situation and we are grateful for your patience with this. As soon as we have some normality back we will be inform our customers that non essential installs will be taking place.

Many thanks again Jodi. 

Cmccabe1983
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant! Thanks I’ll keep hold of it 

0 Kudos