Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Second box doesn’t work properly

So we’ve gone around and around with Virgin, as our second box (in bedroom) very rarely works properly.

9 times out of 10 you can’t connect to the downstairs box and on the occasions that you do manage to it buffers really badly and then stops working.  On demand rarely works. 

keep getting told “switch it off and reboot” which lasts no more than a couple of days at a time

Used the broadband speed check and it says the bedroom is fine, so can’t be that

Any help gratefully appreciated, otherwise we will be leaving Virgin as out contract is ending next month

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Second box doesn’t work properly

Is this second box a V6? Check here if you're not sure.

If so - I'm going to guess your live TV is ok and this problem only affects OnDemand, and streaming programmes from your other box that's (presumably) downstairs with your router.

Assuming this is the case... the issue sounds like the WiFi signal may not be sufficient in the second location. On the affected box, follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and in the top-right the box reports the signal strength. What is reported?

If the signal strength isn't sufficient, then there is one small tweak you may be able to try but your options are inherently limited.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The 2nd box is a V6 box, and you’re correct that the main box is downstairs near the router

Done a black spot checker and that comes out okay, when I checked the signal strength is 67% (good)

Live TV works fine, but majority of time we can’t watch programs upstairs that are recorded on the downstairs box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Are you getting any particular error messages when you're using either VOD or (especially) box to box streaming?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos