cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second V6 box in the kitchen solely via Ethernet: myth or reality?

Impound9140
Tuning in

I have my main V6 box in the living room, close to the one and only Virgin Media coax outlet of the house.

I spoke over the phone with someone from Virgin Media (after being redirected to a different department twice, and waiting more than 45 minutes in total) who claimed that I could have a second V6 box in my kitchen and connect it to my router simply via Ethernet (no coax) and that'll do, I can watch Virgin Media in the kitchen - as long as I pay the 10 quid/month multiroom fee of course. No coax required.

I told him I didn't believe him and I am not ready to buy into the idea that a V6 can give me live TV over Ethernet alone. He didn't take offense but was baffled.

Am I wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The V6 needs coaxial cable as well as a connection to the hub (Ethernet is best).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The V6 needs coaxial cable as well as a connection to the hub (Ethernet is best).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Exactly as I thought. I was right in not listening to official advice and doggedly embracing my instincts.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Impound9140

The only VM TV set top box that doesn't need connecting via coaxial cable for live TV is the Stream box.  The Stream box is IP based and delivers the TV over the internet. It's currently one box per household and can't be used in conjunction with any other VM TV service. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

• Elicit official advice
  • Wait 1 hour
  • Receive BS information
  • Ask random nameless people online
  • Get timely, correct and exhaustive information delivered kindly