Menu
gcfalco
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Run two boxes through one TV?

I've currently got a TIVO box which is pretty much full all of the time. I'd like to change to a V6 box for the additional storage but don't want to lose what's recorded on the TIVO till I've watched it.

Is it possible to have a new V6 as my main functioning box but keep the TIVO as a "stand-alone" non-recording box till the backlog of recordings have been viewed & deleted? It'd probably be a couple of months only.

What input connections would the stand-alone TIVO need? I assume the wifi/ethernet connection wouldn't be an issue but what about the coax connection? Would the TIVO work without the coax (remembering I don't need to record on the TIVO)?

Or would the TIVO still need the coax to allow it to function even as "play-back" only? If it were required, is a splitter available and what might that do to HD quality?

And anyone have an idea of what Virgin might charge remembering this would only be for a couple of months not a full year?

Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Run two boxes through one TV?

Hello

Do you have a VM broadband connection as a V6 will not work without it.

If you upgrade to a V6 then the Tivo will be de-activated as you would need a separate subscription for it, and it would still need to be connected to the coaxial connection to be able to function the Tivo boxes cannot be used standalone. As with all subscriptions there will be a minimum term of contract.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gcfalco
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your advice. It's a shame the TIVO can't work as a standalone just for playback.

I assume there's no way to spit a coax input between the boxes? I appreciate sorting it out with Virgin is another issue!

Anyways, I do have a 2nd box in another room (that I've a Virgin subscription for!). It's an old pre-TIVI box. If I were to replace the TIVO with a V6, and then the old box with the TIVO, am I right I won't lose the TIVO recordings?

I don't want to sit in the spare room to watch my TIVO recordings so I could run an HDMI cable (fibre optic for 4K?) the 6m or so from where the TIVO would be back into my front room on an as & when basis.

Any advice gratefully received!

And anyone know if Virgin are still charging for swapping to a V6 box?

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The best/easiest way of doing it would be to just simply take a V6 out on another subscription so you're paying for both the V6 and TiVo 500 then once you've completed all recordings on your TiVo 500 just phone and cancel it with 30 days notice.

All you would need to do is keep the box disconnected and then reconnect it when you wish to use it, as you'd need additional coax and a 2-3 way splitter, which means you could keep both connected and just switch sources when you wish to watch one or the other.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
gcfalco
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Aaron,

Many thanks for your response - very useful! I can see you're a Virgin employee but setting up your suggestion might be easier if I could arrange it via a moderator rather than calling a help desk where they're not geared up for odd cases. 

If I order what would be a 3rd box, would Virgin expect to have to come out to fit it to a new coax input? If I explain I'm going to use a splitter, might they object in case it impacts picture quality - I'm happy with that on a temporary basis but they might not want to risk a customer moaning at them?

In short, is it possible to get a moderator involved who might smooth sorting this?

Any moderators out there? Unless of course you're a moderator Aaron???

Many thanks again!

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

no, part of the questions when adding it ask if it'll be in the same room as your Hub, selecting yes typically sends out a splitter and a small coax cable alongside your box. 
Edit; I'm not a moderator nor actually have any direct contact with them, so one of them would need to stumble across this topic. I believe a VIP has contact to the forum team however I'm not sure. 

gcfalco
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Aaron,

Thanks again. I've just spent 30 having an online chat regarding having an additional box as you suggested. I was eventually quoted a price of £164 as a one-off fee! Bit more than I was expecting! The monthly fee of £7-50 was fine but it's quite a bit up front. 

However, what annoyed me was the operative wouldn't tell me how much it would be to do a straight swap, the TIVO for a V6, suggesting that was another department, the "Technical Team". Instead he bombarded me with offers of new sim cards & new contracts, none of which were of any relevance to me. I appreciate the guy has to make a living but at least between the hard sell he could have answered my question.   

Anyone out there know how much a straight swap might cost? I think the Live Chat seems to have finished now (till Monday?)

0 Kudos
gcfalco
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Aaron & Mike & anyone else who can answer this,

Now I've complained about the Virgin Live Chat guy, it's my turn to hold me hands up......

My old box that feeds the old tv in my spare room is in fact a V6 box! It's in a cupboard fed by an infrared link so I've never really looked at it. My contract is a bit confusing as it says at the top I'm paying a monthly TIVO fee, I've an additional box fee and also a "V6 box powered by TIVO". No idea what that actually means.

However, it does beg the question, if I forgo my spare room TV connection for a while, & buy a splitter, etc. would the V6 box work on the same coax input as my TIVO? Then in due course pop the empty TIVO in the spare room?

Before I go swapping kit, is this one I need Virgin to okay so the box IDs follow them to new locations?

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi, so you'd need a Virgin official one & I'm sure Technical could send one out, the V6 is still run with TiVo Software so Virgin do TiVo 500's (500GB) and TiVo V6 which is 1TB and a few upgrades. But to answer your question, if technical sent out a splitter and coax then yes you could run both. As for the 164 fee, you may be able to speak to Retentions if out of contract and be able to have that reduced to £35 (no guarantees). 

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

.. but, of course, putting the splitter in would undoubtedly change signal levels and perhaps even put them out of the correct range.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos