cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote not working if box is hidden in cupboard

yorkshire_lass
Tuning in

I have read that the V6 box will operate from the remote even if it’s hidden in a cupboard. Can’t get mine to work. Ordered a new remote and paired it. No problems when the box is visible but won’t work at all if box is in a cupboard. Rang Virgin Media and told there’s nothing they can do about it. I explained that the website is incorrect in stating the box works in a cupboard. I was told by the guy that they would get it removed! Any help appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @yorkshire_lass 

If the V6 remote is in RF mode then it should work by line of sight, including if the V6 is placed in a cupboard.

1. Hold the minus button on the front of your V6 box down for 10 seconds.
  2. The white power light on the box will go off as you’re holding the button, once the power light comes back on the box is ready for paring.
  3. Now hold the Info button on the remote down for 7 seconds. The light on the remote should flash green twice.
  4. Confirm the paring by holding the plus button on the front of the V6 box down until the remote starts beeping. The remote and V6 box should now be paired.

(You might need to reset the remote first by holding the TV and Clear buttons together until the light at the top of the remote flashes green twice. Then press the thumbs down button 3 times. Press OK, the light at the top of the remote will flash green, after 10 seconds the remote will revert to infra red mode)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @yorkshire_lass 

If the V6 remote is in RF mode then it should work by line of sight, including if the V6 is placed in a cupboard.

1. Hold the minus button on the front of your V6 box down for 10 seconds.
  2. The white power light on the box will go off as you’re holding the button, once the power light comes back on the box is ready for paring.
  3. Now hold the Info button on the remote down for 7 seconds. The light on the remote should flash green twice.
  4. Confirm the paring by holding the plus button on the front of the V6 box down until the remote starts beeping. The remote and V6 box should now be paired.

(You might need to reset the remote first by holding the TV and Clear buttons together until the light at the top of the remote flashes green twice. Then press the thumbs down button 3 times. Press OK, the light at the top of the remote will flash green, after 10 seconds the remote will revert to infra red mode)

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave,

I didn’t realise there were two modes. I’ve done as you suggested with the new remote and it worked! Only thing is, I tried it on my older remote but when trying to reset I don’t get any green lights. Is there another way to reset it? Or can I just unpair it in settings on my box? 

Many thanks. 
Gill

Hi Dave,

Tried putting new batteries in the older remote and now managed to pair and works with box in a cupboard. Thanks again. Why couldn’t I get that help from Virgin when a rang them?

kind regards

Gill

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Gill,

Have you tried new batteries in the old remote?

I'm afraid I can't remember how to do that that via the TV menu's and can't check since I upgraded my V6 boxes to TV360.

I hope he doesn't mind but I'll tag @japitts  as he still has a V6 and may be advise further.

I'm not sure if this will work but you could try moving the new remote that you've now got working to a different room and try resetting the old one again.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hi Dave,

Tried putting new batteries in the older remote and now managed to pair and works with box in a cupboard. Thanks again. Why couldn’t I get that help from Virgin when a rang them?

kind regards
Gill 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again,

Thanks for the update. Pleased to see that both remotes are now working.

Stay safe and take care.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hi @yorkshire_lass

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your remote.

Glad to hear that the very helpful newapollo has managed to help you resolve this! Please do be sure to contact us if you require any assistance in the future.

Have a great weekend

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs