Menu
Gemsmith77
Settling in
Message 21 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Re: Remote not responding

I have also had a similar experience to morriphoto. Had the service about 2 months and the box becomes totally unreponsive to the remote periodically, but very often.  We need to reboot the box at least once or twice a day which is very frustrating!

Rang Virgin techinical support 3 times before I could convince them to send an engineer out (previously they kept telling me the remote wasn’t responding because the resolution of the screen was on the wrong setting?!?!).

Engineer came out last week and of course the box was on it’s best behaviour when he visited. He almost sounded like he didn’t believe us, but he unpaired and paired the remote again and said it should be fine from then. Still experiencing the problems though so I’ve rang up again and they are going to send a new remote out. I’m not holding my breath that that will fix it based on the posts on here.... will update soon

0 Kudos
nbrus
Tuning in
Message 22 of 55
Flag for a moderator

My remote just started doing this (not responding to key press) about a week ago ... has been fine until then. I can't tell if the remote is the problem or the v6 box. If there has been a software update to v6 box, then that would be a suspect. But wait, I just noticed something ... this issue only seems to happen if I press the channel number too quickly. This never used to be a problem and I could press the buttons as fast as I like, but now the following button press won't be picked up if I press too fast (I say fast, but its not really that fast). I wonder if this is because the v6 box is running slower rather than a remote issue. The v6 box gets updates, the remote does not, and I never noticed this problem before.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 23 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Hello nbrus

Thanks for the post regarding your V6 remote 

Have you paired the remote via infra red or radio 

This link might help with the latter 

Also does a reboot on the V6 box help at all?

Regards 

Gareth_L Forums Team 

0 Kudos
nbrus
Tuning in
Message 24 of 55
Flag for a moderator

@Gareth: Thanks, my remote seems to have defaulted to Infra Red mode ... it was Radio mode before and I have never changed this, so something seems to have changed it. This explains the slow response to key presses I now get. I followed your link, but have failed to pair my remote (Infra Red still works).

My first attempt at pairing failed and my v6 box did not behave as expected from the provided pairing instructions, so I rebooted my v6 box to try again.

I tried pairing again and tried using the on-screen menu:

1. Home on the remote
  2. Select Help & Settings
  3. Select Settings
  4. Select Devices
  5. Remote Control Pairing

This said that another remote was already paired so I removed all paired remotes, then I tried pairing again. My remote failed to pair (I get 2 red flashes and never see any green) and try again. I have tried over a dozen times, but my remote fails to pair. I have run out of ideas.

Any idea what I can try now? I have never changed anything and my remote worked fine up until recently. Seems like a software update may have screwed things up. Or maybe the radio transmitter on my remote is no longer working?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 25 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying nbrus

I can look at sending out a replacement remote for you to see if that helps 

Regards 

Gareth_L Forums Team 

0 Kudos
nbrus
Tuning in
Message 26 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gareth ... seems like the best option.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 27 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying nbrus

I'm just going to send you a private message which you will find if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen.

Talk to you soon

Gareth_L Forums Team 

0 Kudos
nbrus
Tuning in
Message 28 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Received my replacement remote today ... paired first time and working perfectly on Radio (RF). I should have realised my old remote was dying when it started to only work on Infra Red (IR) only (direct line of sight). Hopefully the new one will last a few years too.

Thanks to Gareth_L for your help. Much appeciated. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 29 of 55
Flag for a moderator

I am glad to hear that has all been sorted out nbrus, you know where we are if you need anything else Smiley Happy

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
Daryl2
Joining in
Message 30 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Hello.  I am experiencing exactly the same issue as others on this thread. The remote control no longer works EVERY single time I turn the box on.  It won’t pair at all either.  A hard reboot of the box fixes it until the next time I turn the box on.  It is definitely a remote control issue as I can control the box with no issues using my iPad.  My other box is absolutely fine, it is very frustrating and obviously a common issue.  Can you assist please?

0 Kudos