cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red button quality

AlexandraMiller
Joining in

I pay for sky sports HD channels, yet when the red button option is available the quality of the football games on there is not even standard definition, never mind high definition. Why is this the case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sky provide the same red button feed to VM customers as they do for their own customers using the Sky + box, the feed is in SD.

They only supply the red button feed in HD to their own customers that have a Sky Q box.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Leejb
Joining in

Watching red button games today and the quality is absolutely terrible, never saw it this bad though sky

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sky provide the same red button feed to VM customers as they do for their own customers using the Sky + box, the feed is in SD.

They only supply the red button feed in HD to their own customers that have a Sky Q box.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The additional red-button streams are not carried in HD - never have been.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I understand that the red button option is not carried in HD, however the picture is extremely blurry today. I can’t even make out the individual players on the game I’m watching. Looks nothing like the other standard definition channels from sky. Hopefully it’s just a one off! 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AlexandraMiller wrote:

I understand that the red button option is not carried in HD, however the picture is extremely blurry today. I can’t even make out the individual players on the game I’m watching. Looks nothing like the other standard definition channels from sky. Hopefully it’s just a one off! 

The only hope of this improving is if Sky provide the IP driven streams used by SkyQ customers to VMs master headend. The current feed is derived from the satellite “channel” provided for Sky+ boxes. This uses one MPEG2 channel to carry all the RB streams in compressed format. The more content output the more it is compressed, so if six football matches are being covered, only 1/6 of the stream is available per match, hence the poor quality. The larger the screen you watch on the worse it gets.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HD and SD have broadcast resolutions of 1080i and 576i respectively. If you have a large UHD TV, say 65" or greater, then when SD is upscaled from 576i to 2160p the result can be awful if the bitrate is poor. And one reason for poor bitrate is compression, which works by removing some data from the video, and too much compression will result in noticeably poor picture quality especially for fast moving images.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection