Menu
tuscans
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Really poor picture quality ( low bitrate ) on Sky Sports and BT

Switching between Sky Sports News and BT Sport 1 HD and the quality of picture is terrible. There's a blur to all the players faces that merge all their features into one block of colour. I can't believe the broadcast is in 1080p or 1080i as it replicates an identical picture quality of the regular NowTV resolution of last year which was 720p. 

I have played around with the V6 box upscaling and my TV doing it with no difference and have just settled with leaving it on 2160p. But the football at this present moment is terrible and has a really low bitrate feel to it even with my broadband running at 216Mbps right now.

My V6 box has been showing a black screen when I press the Home button and not coming back on until I turn it off at the back of the box. I have had to do this 3 times within 30 minutes too. 

Any advice.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Really poor picture quality ( low bitrate ) on Sky Sports and BT

@tuscans wrote:

Switching between Sky Sports News and BT Sport 1 HD and the quality of picture is terrible. There's a blur to all the players faces that merge all their features into one block of colour. I can't believe the broadcast is in 1080p or 1080i as it replicates an identical picture quality of the regular NowTV resolution of last year which was 720p. 

Are you watching Sky Sports News in SD or HD?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tuscans
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HD. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Do you get issues on any other Sky Sports HD channels?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tuscans
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

All channels at the time posted in HD ( supposedly 1080 after looking into it ) had a lower resolution to them. I can tell the difference between a 720 and 1080 picture, progressive scan and interlaced and the pictures all had the look of the latter. 

There's either poor compression, bitrate or both going on if they are genuinely broadcast in 1080p. Of course my tv has to upscale the picture which on a 65" shows up artefacts but it's never been that bad before. A real blur to the outline of players and objects etc and just detail completely lost to the point of facial features being non existent until the camera shot went in on a close up.

0 Kudos
tuscans
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Same matches shown on MOTD on BBC One have a higher grade in clarity and detail then the same on Sky Sports and BT. The live sport coverage side of things with Virgin is consistently poor.