Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Watching recordings on 2nd V6 box

I also cannot connect my 2 v6 boxes. Current wifi signal strength on 1st box is 100% and my 2nd box (wireless) is 22% after changing band to 5 as suggested. When checking wifi strength using the app in the room the v6 box is in, it comes up with a Poor signal. Will virgin provide me with a signal booster as box is in a room with very poor wifi?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What signal strength do you get in the second room by using the 2.4Ghz band?

5Ghz can sometimes be quicker but this is by no means certain, depending on what setup your immediate neighbours have. 2.4Ghz has slightly better range - best to experiment with both, especially in your situation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I switched to 2.4Ghz, It’s now 42%. Original setting was auto (so looking for best channel to use), the 2nd box is at the back of the house; the wifi signal needs to pass through two solid walls over about a distance of 30 feet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hay @Mike26

How did things go with the 2.4Ghz connection in the end? We're things any better and were you able to watch the recordings on either boxes? 

You post advises that you cannot connect the 2 V6 boxes - can you advise what you mean by that? Is the 2nd box not listed when checking the MyShows (Just scroll to the end and all connected boxes will be listed)

Please also make sure that the main V6 box is either Connected Low Power or Always On - if not, the other box will not be able to sync up. 

Have you renamed either of your boxes at all to best identify them? Whilst what I am about to say sounds made up it is in fact true; if either or your boxes have a special character in their name, any streaming services between boxes will not work. Please rename without any special characters. Once renamed, it can take 24 hours to update. You can speed up this process by doing the following: Home> Help&Settings> Settings> Network> Connect to Virgin Media Service Now

You can go through further checks and diagnostics for our multi-room streaming on our dedicated help page here

Hope that helps. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Katie, thanks for responding.

Clarification

1. I cannot see the other V6 box (play room) from the My Shows page on my (living room V6 box), and thus cannot stream between each V6 box. Due to distance I cannot connect them via an ethernet cable. The (wireless) signal strength of the broadband in the play room is poor often under 40%.

2. Set up of both boxes is on low power

3. The names of boxes are living room, and play room (the play room box is the newest one; about 3 months old). These names have not been changed other than allocating the name to the new V6 box when received.

Virgin promise that if there are any wifi black spots they will provide a wifi booster, but the virgin connect app used to test the wifi signal does not allow me to request it - if these boxes won't connect wirelessly, then surely this is enough evidence that the signal is not strong enough.

I would appreciate your advice on the next steps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for the delayed response, Mike26,

Are you still having issues with your V6 connections or ordering a booster? I can get one ordered for you, however I should advise that there is a monthly charge for boosters, https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The v6 boxes will still not connect to each other. They both have a direct feed (coaxial cable) but despite having very fast broadband, the wifi signal in the room where the 2nd box is fitted is poor. I understood that if the signal was not good enough in any room, that virgin would provide at no cost a booster. So I am surprised you refer to a charge. I am a subscriber to all virgin media’s services (was called Oomph) so would not expect to have to pay anymore. Can you check?

thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying, Mike.

Yes, I can double check for you. I'll PM you to confirm your account details,

Cheers,