Menu
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 to V6 playback - Wifi or ethernet

Before our old TiVo box broke a couple of months ago, we had it wired to the router downstairs and had a V6 box connected via wireless upstairs and was able to access and stream recordings from one box to the other in both directions.

Since getting a V6 box to replace the TiVo, so we now have one V6 wired to the router and the other connected via wireless, both boxes will either see the other and let you navigate to the recordings, but then fail to play anything, or neither box shows on the other one at all.

I've tried a few things, but haven't got the V6 boxes working together yet, like the TiVo and V6 combo.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Do both of your V6 work in OnDemand programmes ok?

It's the same V6 > router connection being used for multi-box streaming as VOD.

Also, when you're able to navigate to a recording but not play it, do you get any error messages?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
wonderbison
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

So I took out the Ethernet cable from the box I want to watch from. I see Wifi in the settings at 117MB and 60% Good.

However when I go to My Shows, scroll to the main box and "move right" I get (and the "Lounge" box is on)

"Can't Connect to Lounge TiVo box"

It says it could not be found and code C423 which indicates not connected but I am watching TV on the second box, I can play back on the second box, I can do OnDemand (I am watching from CatchUp/Trending/Big Fat Quiz of the year and OnDemand a Sky Movie

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As per https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-error-codes/c423 this indicates a problem with the WiFi connection between the box & the hub.

I wonder if you're trying to stream on & from the same box, this might be putting too much strain on a potentially too weak WiFi connection. If you take one stream out of the equation and only try one at once, does that work?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
wonderbison
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for the answer but not sure I follow what you are trying to get me to do.

What I am doing is streaming 1 show which is stored on the "Lounge" box to a box in the conservatory at the back. There is no other watching going on in the Lounge box, or from any apps on any devices. So there is only 1 playing of something happening.

Both boxes are on the same 2G WiFi network (cant get strong enough 5G in the conservatory)

If you can clarify what you mean then I can try that?

Thank you all so far

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@wonderbison wrote:

Hi

So I took out the Ethernet cable from the box I want to watch from. I see Wifi in the settings at 117MB and 60% Good.

First thing - An Ethernet connection between your V6 & the homehub is always preferable to WiFi, so I'd recommend keeping that cable in.

You mentioned previously, that the WiFi connection was reported at 60% strength, I suspect it wouldn't take much for that to drop to a borderline level. IF you're trying to watch OnDemand (downloading) and streaming from (uploading) the same box, that's 2 video streams in opposite directions that could easily swamp an unreliable WiFi link.

An Ethernet connection should certainly improve this, but I'd want to experiment with only one stream from (especially a WiFi-connected) each box at a time. So if you're trying to multi-room stream from A-B, then watching OnDemand on Box A is hammering Box A's WiFi. So stop the VOD, and see if the multibox streaming is any better.

0 Kudos
wonderbison
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The wifi is pretty stable through my router but point taken

The ethernet cable is going through a network plug and the home electricity which causes the playback that is recorded on the lounge box to "stutter" when playing on the conservatory box. This is what I am trying to eliminate.

I am only doing 1 stream at the time and I get the stutter. The lounge box is on (white light) but normal television being played and nothing being recorded on either box. The ethernet plugs are 300MB I believe.

So to summarise

• Netgear Nighthawk router R8000 connected by ethernet cable to Network plug
  • Lounge box has programme recorded (Taskmaster), on, playing Channel 4 live, nothing being recorded. Connected by Wifi to router. 100%, 216Mps, Infrastructure mode
  • Conservatory box is playing Lounge box's Taskmaster, nothing recording, and we get stutter and delays. Connected by Ethernet cable to Network Plug

Thanks

0 Kudos
SpacePhoenix
Superfast
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Are the powerline adapters at each end plugged directly into a wall socket or via extension leads?

0 Kudos
wonderbison
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The powerline adapters are plugged directly in to the wall, both ends.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

C423 error for me too, when you get as far as one box showing on the other and try watching something, despite my two V6 boxes setup exactly the same as the one TiVo and one V6 setup before it. Nothing has been changed on the network, other than the old TiVo being replaced with a V6, after it developed a fault.

So, the downstairs V6 is wired to the router, as was the old TiVo before it, and the other V6 box is upstairs connected to the Wi-Fi, as it was when we had the TiVo. I've tried the upstairs box on the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks (streaming recordings between boxes worked on with V6 on 2.4 and TiVo wired). I haven't tried both V6s on the same Wi-Fi band yet.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos