Menu
khls15995
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box

My new V6 VM digi box arrived yesterday (Friday 7th).  Been trying to get it to work properly since.  I was advised by an operator that there was/is a fault or two in the area.  Surely this has been resolved by now.  I've turned the box on again and the menu is there and sound but no vision.  So, on the blower again!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box

Hi did you ring the activation number 0800 9539500 have your account number area code and serial number of the box to hand. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box issues

Is your issue, that you've got no live TV pictures? You've mentioned "menu and sound but no vision"

Do you get any error message onscreen when you're trying to watch a live channel? Can you view OnDemand programmes?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
khls15995
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box issues

That's it no picture and no on-demand, only menu and sound and it's a new/replacement box.  I've booked an engineer to come on Thursday.  Meanwhile, I'm hoping someone might suggest something to try to fix the problem.  

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

First... confirm it's definitely a V6? https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-box 

When you say "menu and no sound", what happens if you press "TV" to get the live channels, do you see anything on your screen? I'd expect to see an error message or code.

When you say this affects OnDemand, does this include streaming apps? Can you load, say, the BBC iPlayer?

If you have the menu interface, then the video output from the V6 to your TiVo is working, and it would suggest an issue with whatever source material it's trying to output....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
khls15995
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes it's a V6 box

Very strange as it happens to be working... all of a sudden.  However, the only thing that is working is the main TV.  I go into 'guide' and all the TV programmes show including the preview in the top right-hand corner.  So sound and vision working.

What isn't working, at the moment, is the on-demand service whether via the Home screen or via the main TV menu i.e. scrolling back to watch a programme you've just missed.  

I shall leave the V6 box on and check again later.  Perhaps that's what the box needs, just to be left on.

Many thanks and I'll keep you posted.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@khls15995 wrote:

What isn't working, at the moment, is the on-demand service whether via the Home screen or via the main TV menu i.e. scrolling back to watch a programme you've just missed. 

In what way isn't it working? What happens? Are you getting any errors?

If it's a newly installed V6, then leaving it to settle can sometimes resolve issues. As can a restart via Home > Help & Settings > Clear or restart

But if you want to post some more details, then I'm sure someone will help if necessary.

0 Kudos
khls15995
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The normal telly mode and telly menu is working.  I've just tested recording a programme and that works.  There is no error message.

When I say the on-demand isn't working, it's not playing back anything.  

I will see how things go and just keep the box on.  Like you said it seems to be taking a bit of time to settle down which t shouldn't but there you go.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
khls15995
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The box was working last Sunday evening for about an hour or so.  The engineer has just come and gone and was on the phone to someone who developed the V6 boxes because he, the engineer wasn't sure what to do.  Long story short, it transpires that it's the TV at fault!  It's a Samsung TV, don't know the model but the engineer said that Virgin Media and Samsung are in the middle of an argument at the moment.  Sounds bizarre to me.

Now I've been advised to go out and get a second-hand telly to 'tide me over'.  I can't believe thisi s happening.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

There have been some issues with 4K TVs causing issues with OnDemand under very particular circumstances, and Samsung TVs seem to come up as problematic more than other manufacturers. This may be what the engineer was referring to, although I'm not sure I'd entirely agree with the "having an argument" terminology 🙂

Is your TV a 4K UHD model? Are you able to look at the set (maybe on the back panel) and find a model number? Are there any HDMI ports marked as "MHL"?

On your V6, can you follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video output... is 1080 enabled/ticked?

0 Kudos