Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box wants me to “open” ports on my router

After a network change, Tivo asks for the ports to be open and I can't access the Tivo EPG updates and other realtime network information until they are open. I don't understand why you say to ignore the situation as after around 3 weeks the EPG will be empty and nothing will record automatically. 
I have my Superhub 3 in modem mode and whilst working well it does have the above problem. This time when I go to my router (Asus) I can't see the Tivo listed as a connection under LAN and so not sure how to configure ports for a device which isn't seen / listed. 
Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just to confirm you do have a V6 and not a TiVo? TiVo doesn't need an offboard internet connection.

Assuming V6 for sure, I presume it's Ethernet connection to your router?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ignore the 'ports' messages are they are red herrins.

If you are using your own router you have to set the DNS servers on the router to be those of VirginMedia - otherwise the V6 will not function correctly.

It actually sound though as if you have not reconnected the boxes to the new network you have.

@SJC wrote:

After a network change, Tivo asks for the ports to be open and I can't access the Tivo EPG updates and other realtime network information until they are open. I don't understand why you say to ignore the situation as after around 3 weeks the EPG will be empty and nothing will record automatically. 
I have my Superhub 3 in modem mode and whilst working well it does have the above problem. This time when I go to my router (Asus) I can't see the Tivo listed as a connection under LAN and so not sure how to configure ports for a device which isn't seen / listed. 
Any ideas?

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The V6 only needs to connect to VM's DNS on intial set up to initialise the Netflix app (it'll work with 3rd party DNS fine after that).

OP - Have you connected the ethernet cable from the V6 to your Asus router?  If you've left it connected to the hub it will not be seen on the network as it won't be able to connect - only the port connected to your router will be active in modem mode. If you're connecting via wifi, have you updated your credentials on the V6 so that you connect to the Asus? 

As @ozsat says, the port errors are a red herring - the test always fails even with a working set up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Actually - things do gradually stop working. Channel logos will be first to go.

@paul0363 wrote:

The V6 only needs to connect to VM's DNS on intial set up to initialise the Netflix app (it'll work with 3rd party DNS fine after that).

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@ozsat wrote:

Actually - things do gradually stop working. Channel logos will be first to go.

@paul0363 wrote:

I must have been lucky then - before I moved to the 360 my V6 was connected to an Asus router with OpenDNS set as the DNS provider and the V6 worked fine (including when channel logos changed) for over three years!  The only issue I had was setting up the Netflix app as reported by others elsewhere in the forum!

Anyway - wandering off topic 🙂

0 Kudos