Menu
SteveF13
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recordings playback pixelated and juddery

Hi

i have recently moved over to Virgin Media from Sky to avoid these issues and now I am getting the same thing with Virgin. I am trying to watch a football match I recorded earlier this evening ands it is unwatchable. It keeps pixelating and is jerky and keeps stopping. We also tried to watch another program we recorded  recently and the same thing happened. Luckily this was on catch up so we could still watch it. So far Virgin has not been living up to the promises made at point of sale and I’m not particularly impressed.

Steve F

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@SteveF13 

Firstly rather than adding to an existing user's thread, it's much easier if you can start a new one - I've done it for you. Rant over 🙂

Ok... so you have pixellated pictures - is this happening on live TV as well as recorded programmes? This is important - it helps narrow down what your issue could be.

Whatever channel it was you're watching recorded programmes from, can you try watching live, see if the same thing happens? Out of interest, which channel (specifically - HD/SD too)? Can you then pause or rewind the programme and see if you get problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
SteveF13
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

We have recently noticed a couple of issues with minor pixelation on live tv. This has only been on a few occasions and only very minor and didn’t prevent us from watching the program.

Yesterday (Monday) the issue first occurred with a program about Dads Army we had recorded from Channel 5 the previous day (Sunday). We tried watching the recording and it was impossible to watch. Fortunately the program was available on Catch-up so we watched it from there without a problem.

I also recorded last nights Premier League match on SkySports 1 to watch it when my wife went up to bed. I recorded the whole program but when I loaded it I didn’t want to watch the one hour preamble so fast forwarded through this to the point of kick off. I noticed the fast forward was very slow and I had it on maximum. The program was still broadcasting at this time. As soon as I got to the point of kick off and pressed play. It was impossible to watch. I thought I would let it settle for a few minutes but it didn’t. My wife tried to test it on the second box in the bedroom but had the same problem there.

The second box has also been giving problems with watching recordings from the lounge box and keeps freezing then resuming on playback. 

We have also found another issue with the main box when we pause a live program then try to resume the program will not playback the recorded portion but will jump to the live point in the program. This doesn’t happen every time but has certainly happened two or three times.

Regards

Steve F

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like you've perhaps got a couple of issues here.

1: Pixellation/picture. You've mentioned Channel 5 & Sky Sports 1, I presume you mean SS Main Event? - but also whether you're watching in HD or SD? (they are entirely separate channels).

Can you try watching those channels live, and see if you get problems. If you do, the issue is likely signal related. If live TV is ok, but pausing & rewinding gives issues, that suggests a hard drive issue.

2: Second box streaming.. how are both boxes connected to your homehub? I'm going to assume the second box is WiFi-connected, in which case... first question, what is the signal strength? You can check by following Home > help & Settings > Settings > Network, and looking in the top-right. Second question, do you get any error messages, they are often useful in identifying the source of the issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
SteveF13
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Apologies for the delay. Had a busy day!

In answer to your questions, both the channels concerned are HD channels. Neither of these channels have any issues while watching live. We are getting 55% signal strength at the time of writing this on the main lounge tv.

I have also checked the bedroom tv which is only showing 25% signal strength. 

Do you think this might be the issue? I haven’t been very impressed with the broadband strength despite the assurances I was given when I signed up for Virgin.  I have had to put a signal booster in the kitchen so I can use the computer out there. Our house is a 1930’s semi so not some vast estate but it does have some pretty solid walls. I was assured these would not present a problem but maybe they are! 

regards

Steve F

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If your live TV is fine, but you only have problems when you record/pause/rewind, that tends to suggest there's a problem with the hard drive. Over time that will only get worse and could eventually cause the box to fail outright - so keep an eye on that.

So far as the WiFi signal strength goes, I don't believe there's any guidance on what is sufficient, but I've certainly heard of people having problems once it drops below 60% - bear in mind that HD streaming is quite data intensive, and so does need a reliable connection. 25%, I'm not surprised you're struggling.

There's a few different error messages you could get on either VOD (OnDemand) or MRS (multi-room-streaming) that will help pinpoint the issue, but it certainly sounds like WiFi reliability is your underlying issue.

0 Kudos
SteveF13
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. We’ve just checked the main tv again and it’s dropped slightly to 52% and my wife reset the upstairs box and tested it again and got 70%. We haven’t had any error messages to my knowledge but we will keep an eye out for these. Now we know how we check the strength i will try resetting the main tv as well and if we can’t get any improvement I’ll have to call Virgin and see what we can do about improving things. 

many thanks for your help.

steve F

0 Kudos