Menu
timetraveller
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix/ iplayer freezing on tivo box

my problem is that my TiVo box actually freezes, When this happens, I am not able to do anything, through my remote control, or the buttons on the box, the only way I can get back control over the box, is to turn it off for 15 seconds, and then back on again, this only happens when I am using the BBC iPlayer app. 

This post was started almost 6 months ago, why has there not been a fix yet? Has anyone looked at what is happening themselves, or just looked at what is being said on here? Oh!!! Hang on a minute, I got to go and turn the box off and on again, as its bloody frozen at a good scene in 'Small Axe' very annoying and, so far, the second time, its happened, during this episode 😤 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi timetraveller,

I'm not sure if this will work with the BBC iplayer app, but when my box freezes, I press the info button for around 10/15 seconds. The remote then flashes green, around 10 seconds later it flashes red. 

It then unfreezes, and pressing either the volume buttons or performing a quick channel change gets the box working again without rebooting.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@timetraveller 

Are you using a TiVo box or a V6? If you're not sure - check here - the TiVo is quite aged hardware now, and whilst being perfectly servicable, it does struggle to run the streaming apps.

If you do indeed have a TiVo and also have VM broadband, I would strongly recommend looking at swapping to a V6 box as the solution. There's ways and means of going about this, but ultimately the TiVo is limited by being old hardware.

It's also worth bearing in mind that many problems with the TiVo boxes streaming video are caused by their onboard internet failing, which is a very easy check.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
timetraveller
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I'll try this, next time I it happens, thank you for your help and the information 🖖🏼 

0 Kudos
timetraveller
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

It says clear or reset your TiVo box in the help and settings on it so I am pretty sure it is a TiVo, can you tell me roughly when the v6 started rolling out from virgin, because I was given the by them 3 years ago and prior to that I had an older device, which the model of, evades my memory at this moment. 

When it happens the internet is not affected, no flashing lights on the router and after the reboot of TiVo there is no saying a network problem, and to go to settings to reconnect it, plus my son doesn't come downstairs from his cave, asking if I have done anything to the internet (he is usually my first sign something is going on with internet, don't see him unless he is hungry or internet problems🤣) I agree that it does behave like the internet is lagging, and have tried all the usual things that fix that when streaming. But I think it is a bug to do with incapability between the app and the box, just like when apps make phones freeze 😉 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@timetraveller wrote:

It says clear or reset your TiVo box in the help and settings on it so I am pretty sure it is a TiVo,

The V6 also says this. Check this link and have a look.

The TiVo box doesn't use your home internet, it has its own connection inbuilt that operates independently of your home broadband.

0 Kudos
timetraveller
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Your right I don't in fact have a TiVo box, that was what I had a few years ago, I have a V6, that is trying to lull me into a false sense of security, and trick me into thinking it's called a TiVo 🤣 

So I'm guessing that now the solution is now going to be different, and will involve a lengthy phone call, mainly listening to music that is played at a volume that is so high, it sounds distorted. Or I could cheated and get straight through to the tech department by ringing the new customer line instead 🤣 Thank you for your help 🖖🏼 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Both TiVo & the V6 run on TiVo software, but are very different boxes beyond that.

The solution will be different yes, but don't start worrying about calling VM just yet - we're a long way from that, and we're getting somewhere.

The big thing with the V6 is that the box doesn't have its internet connection internal, but relies on your homehub which then connects to the internet. So how is your V6 connected to your Superhub? Ethernet is best, but I'm going to wager yours is probably WiFi and assume (this could be a mistake, but let's go with it!)

Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and in the top-right corner of the screen will be your network connection status, and if appropriate, your WiFi signal strength. Please tell us what this says. This will give a very strong clue as to what might be happening to apps that need the internet.

0 Kudos
timetraveller
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

it's Ethernet cable connected, used to use it on WiFi but got fed up having to reconnect to the internet with it, after a power failure or a system upgrade, lol call me lazy bones but having to wait for WiFi connection bores me 👍🏼 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Ok, let's prove your internet connection. Given BBC iPlayer is app-based, can you try watching something from ITV, C4 or C5 CatchUp... does that play ok?

0 Kudos