Menu
Nerohove
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Power surge

Today in the local area there was a big electrical storm. There is now general outage of all services (wifi, tv, phone) in the area which is apparently being dealt with. However my Digi TV and my Arcam amplifier seem to have been badly damaged by this. TV picture only has a green line across the TV and the amp wont work at all.?

0 Kudos
Nerohove
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Power surge

I should also add this only happened to the connected apparatus to the TV6 box and not the Old Tivo box in another room.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Your best hope is if your home insurance company will cover the replacement cost, although with lightning damage that is probably unlikely.  If you have several hours to spare you may like to look at this thread to see how unlikely it is that a claim against virgin media would be successful. Lightning-everything-blown-up-virgin-washes-their-hands

My mother used to tell us to unplug everything when there was a lightning storm brewing.

Nerohove
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Graham. It’s interesting to see the-threads on here that seem to all relate to a particular problem with the TV6 boxes only. Maybe I will have to speak to my legal insurance providers as if this is the case the TV6 box is wither not fit for purpose or should carry some kind of warning that it is susceptible to this kind of damage.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

All electrical equipment is susceptable to damage from lightning strikes. Most people do not bother with surge arresters on their TV & audio kit. The good ones of these carry a guarantee for all connected equipment.

Cable TV connections, TV antennas & BT telephone lines are also susceptable to surges from lightning strikes. Its not confined to Virgin equipment. Most of these have surge protection, but when the voltage involved exceeds several thousand volts most protection types cannot cope. The only real answer is an earth rod attached to all incoming cables, which is not only very expensive but may never be needed.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Your home insurance may well provide cover. I've checked an AA contents policy which covers loss or damage caused by:
1. Fire, smoke, lightning, explosion, earthquake, storm, flood, and smudging as a result of fixed oil-fired central heating.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos