Menu
BillBrum
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Possible HDMI output issues affecting some channels

Hi all.  I had problems with picture breakup or getting a W02 code - only on a few channels, like Sky One, Sky News, QVC.  Wiggling cables sometimes fixed it, and I thought it was to do with the two-piece F socket to coaxial lead that Virgin had supplied with the box.  I contacted Virgin to ask them to send a replacement lead.  The call handler said that they wouldn't do that, as it could be a fault that an engineer would need to look at - BUT at the moment they would not book a visit owing to COVID.  I therefore bought a single piece F to coax lead, which didn't cure it, then I bought a more expensive and high quality one, but still had problems.  Since then with more wiggling I've found that it seems to be an HDMI issue.  I've changed the lead, and used other HDMI inputs on my TV (it's not HD), and that made no difference.  What does seem to help is moving the V6 box horizontally though 90 degrees, which possibly makes the inside of the output connect better with the lead.  So I now think that there is a problem with the V6 box's HDMI output, although I have no idea why that would affect just a few channels - frequency issues?  

I'm posting this just to ask if anyone else has known this kind of thing, and if you may have some other ideas.  

I'd be grateful to see any advice or comments.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible HDMI output issues affecting some channels

W02 is a classic "loss of signal" error and you should report this to Virgin Media. You've not said whether the channels affected are the HD or SD variants, this will make a difference - channels are not broadcast over VM's network in any relation to their EPG positions.

Ultimately, all of the cabling & connectors down to your box, and the V6 itself, form part of VM's network and should only be maintained and worked on by VM staff. I appreciate your DIY fixes are well-intentioned, but the fix here is to let VM investigate & rectify this fault properly. It may be a box fault, it may be a cabling fault - without being rude, this is VM's problem to resolve and not yours.

Rather than asking VM to send replacement equipment, you simply need to report your W02 error (and pixellated live TV issues) to Virgin and be quite clear that reboots are not resolving it. That should be sufficient evidence for them to arrange an engineer visit - where the appropriate "hands-on" investigations and repair works can be done.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BillBrum
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I agree, however the call handler (or was it online chat) didn't want to do much other than to say that it could be a fault needing an engineer visit - oh but we're not doing visits now.  Do you know if they are doing call outs at the moment?

Also, have you (or anyone else) previously heard of a problem with HDMI outputs from a V6?

Cheers

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM aren't arranging non-fault visits at the moment due to Covid restrictions, but that's not what yours is.

You have a service fault, and there shouldn't be a problem with a tech visit in your case. You've so far described a signal issue, not an HDMI fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Laurie_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi BillBrum,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome back to the Community Forum! I'm sorry that you've had some issues with your TV services.

Thanks for all of your help so far @japitts!

@BillBrum, I've been able to locate your account using your Forum details, and I can see that there are some issues showing on your V6 box. I've booked a technician appointment for you so that we can get this resolved. You can find the details of your appointment on your MyVM page.

Please keep us updated on your issue, and let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you.

Cheers,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos
BillBrum
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Laurie_C, thanks for your involvement.  I was surprised to get a text about an hour ago to let me know that an engineer will visit on 21/4 between 12noon and 4pm.  That would normally be ideal, but regrettably this week I'm supposed to be in an online training course on 21/4 and 22/4.  I'm loathe to cancel, as the option it gives is to reply to the text with the word FIXED, which it isn't.  Do you have the power to change the date of the visit so as to avoid Weds and Thurs?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You should be able to change this yourself- login to your "my Virgin Media" online account and click on "my appointments".

Rescheduling is one of the options in there.

0 Kudos
Laurie_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi BillBrum,

Thanks for getting back to me. You can re-arrange your appointment on your MyVM page, or by using the My Virgin Media app. Please let me know if you need any more help with this.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos
BillBrum
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello again Laurie.  I tried both the webpage and the app, but on each one the message was that I have no open orders or appointments.  Can you advise me further?  Sorry to trouble you.

0 Kudos
BillBrum
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I still have no appointment shown on either the My Virgin Media website or app.  Is there a way to find it, as the engineer appointment that was booked for 21/4 pm is not convenient on either that day or 22/4.

Thanks

0 Kudos