Menu
peckwood
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Possible BROKEN Fibre Cable connection to TIVO Box

Area 21  has current ongoing (from last night) fault due to be resolved by 1600hrs today.

Before establishing this I disconnected the cable from the TIVO box to find what appeared to be break in cable.Part of the inner ( approx 1.5 inches) core  cable together with an outer shield ( Is this an attenuator ?) stayed in the socket  in back of Tivo Box. Can anyone tell me  please how this is designed ?  Is this normal  or has the cable sheared and will therefore STILL  not carry the signal to the TIVO box once the area fault problem has been resolved ? Virgin lines are super busy pro tem but I will persevere if the cable has sheared & needs a new part to connect it to the TIVO box.

Grateful for any advice. 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Possible BROKEN Fibre Cable connection to TIVO Box

A) It’s triple screened copper coax, not fibre. VM is fibre to cabinet in legacy areas, & the fibre terminates at the outside wall in fibre to home.

B) If you can please post some photos it would be helpful in determining what the problem is.

Bear in mind it takes a while for photos to be approved before they appear on the board.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

peckwood
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible BROKEN Fibre Cable connection to TIVO Box

Thks for responding to my post.  I have managed to coax the system into life so it's not terminal! The inner cable together with its sheaf remained stuck in the cable socket on the TIVO box  & the inner cable was not visible on the end of the white cable ,when I drew them apart.   

I think I may have inadvertently reversed it  when I checked before. I  have now reversed it & done a channel search on "cable" and gone to lunch -  Low & behold the programmes are all there to be selected now on the TV.   I did notice that it lost signal when I put the kit back into the TV table but I soon restored  signal by "jiggling" the cable.  My conclusion is therefore that there might be a break in the cable  near the end  which fits into the back of the TIVO box so I will sit on the phone until I get thru to Virgin support ,explain & ask for an engineer to attend to fix the broken cable .

Many thanks for  your support.

Dick Cridlan

0 Kudos