Menu
jimgironde
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Portal TV

I have been given Portal TV by one of my children to make Messenger video calls better but am having some gremlins.

My set up is V6 and Samsung smart TV and Hub3 with all connections entering the TV via a "Onebox".

Portal TV works fine and is brilliant but with two niggles.

When I turn my TV on I can use 3 remotes. The Samsung remote, Samsung smart remote or VM remote. Whichever remote I use it will always go to Virgin Media service.

But now when I turn on, it goes to Portal TV and I have to navigate to Source and switch to VM. The Portal TV is connected to my Onebox by HDMI and has its own power supply.

The second problem is caused by me trying to get over the first problem!

The Portal has an on/off switch, if you leave it on it is in some sort of sleep mode. I thought by turning it off it would enable the TV to start with VM, but what happens is I get a message from VM on the TV screen asking me to check all connections and it will not start.

It would appear that Portal has taken control of everything, how do I put VM back in charge?

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Portal TV

Try turning off HDMI-CEC on the Portal, see this Portal help page for how:

https://portal.facebook.com/gb/help/2436892833014252/

If a device supports CEC it will turn on the TV it is attached to and change the TV's source to the HDMI port for that device when it is turned on. 

While you can setup the V6 remote so that it turns on your TV, the V6 does not support CEC so the TV will start with the last used source, which was most likely the correct source for the V6.  So the V6 was never really in charge, it just had no competition before.

The newer VM 360 TV box does support CEC.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jimgironde
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that suggestion, but I had already been into settings and turned that off, but obviously to no effect!! 😁

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You need to ask Facebook then, as with CEC switched off it shouldn’t automatically switch to the Portal’s HDMI port if you leave it on the one the V6 uses when you switch off the TV.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos