Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Poor Picture Quality on all channels

Hello all, had Virgin Media installed just yesterday and the picture on it is absolutely shocking. I have tried everything I can to fix it. Played with the upscaling settings on both the TV and box, switched out my HDMI cables and rebooted the box. Nothing seems to have made a difference. We have just moved in to our first home and bought a brand new 55 inch 4K TV in preparation for having Virgin installed. It's mostly noticeable, somewhat irrelevantly, on adverts where the picture is just blurry. Also particularly on BT sport which was my main pull to VM. Can anyone help with this as it's very frustrating. 

Edit, the internet from VM is fantastic and we run Netflix on the TV and the quality is fantastic. Therefore by process of elimination it must be the VM box that has the issue 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Picture Quality on all channels

Hi have you tried setting the V6 in settings to 2160p and 2160 pass through.Regards Micky
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Micky, thanks for the reply. I have, that was the initial setting. It's made fractionally better when I set it to 1080 but still not anywhere near good enough. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Have you tuned the TV or are you using the out of the box settings?

If you haven't Google recommend settings for your TV, this will likely improve picture quality greatly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cueball, I certainly did I have then set to the optimum for that TV which is Vivid setting. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I do find the TV quality on Virgin to be horrendous, HD is just acceptable/ meh!! If I use the Sky box (hate Q) in the other room the picture quality on HD and SD is miles better.

Virgin Media used to have EXCELLENT SD picture on the majority of channels until they switched to MPEG4 in the last few weeks, now you can't read some of the text, I took a photo and even Virgin Media Twitter couldn't read what was on screen!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Vivid is generally the worst setting to have your TV set to, its overally bright and saturated shop normally set tv's to vivid so they stand out. 

The best setting for most tv's is cinema, but post the make and model and I'll look it up if I can 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Danny, it's an LG 55um7400plb

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Joe, really disappointed so far to be honest. 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/um7300/settings

Follow this until you get to the gaming mode part

Then it should be fine 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped