Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Poor HD quality (mainly Sky channels)

Hi

Joined Virgin last week from Sky Q, I have the full Maxit 2 package with UHD etc.

I'm having an annoying issue with the quality on the HD channels, they are almost like SD. No clarity whatsoever, mainly effects Sky cinema and Sky Sports channels. Best way to describe it is they are soft, no sharpness and really bad ghosting.  

We had an engineer out yesterday and he replaced everything but still having the same problems.

Please help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor quality picture

Hi,

Did you get this sorted? I'm experiencing the exact same issues.. UHD looks great, HD looks worse than SD.

REALLY frustrating.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor HD quality (mainly Sky channels)

What're your video output settings on? Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Video

What's your make & model of TV?

And are there any specific channels you're citing as examples?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

The box is set to 2160p, 2160p pass thru, 1080p and 1080i.

I had Sky Q on the same TV, same hdmi port and it was crystal clear!

It is a samsung UHD 55", not sure on the model number but its got the latest update on.

Mainly the Sky channels, sky cinema and sports etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Did you get this sorted? I'm experiencing the exact same issues.. UHD looks great, HD looks worse than SD.

REALLY frustrating.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@J555SST wrote:

Hi,

The box is set to 2160p, 2160p pass thru, 1080p and 1080i.

Ok - so V6 in this instance is probably going to upscale everything to 2160 given the choice. That might or might not work best, but is certainly a start.

@J555SST wrote:

I had Sky Q on the same TV, same hdmi port and it was crystal clear!

That proves nothing more than your TV being configured well for a Sky Q box - the V6 is not a Sky Q and may not work with the same settings.

@J555SST wrote:

It is a samsung UHD 55", not sure on the model number but its got the latest update on.

Mainly the Sky channels, sky cinema and sports etc.

If you can be a bit more specific, people on here may be able to advise on perhaps specific settings. Some sports channels may have blurring issues that can be mitigated by. say, motion control settings, for example. The same wouldn't necessarily be such an issue on Sky One.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your reply.

We had an engineer out from Virgin on Monday, he replaced every single fitting, hdmi cable and the box, he set it up to their standard (2160p only) but no good.

I have turned off all digital clear view, processing etc but makes no difference.

Its annoying as I know how clear it should be, I think its more a problem with Virgin and the V6 box rather than my TV but if I can make it better im all up for it!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A quick & easy experiment is to play with the V6 outputting at, say 1080 without any other choices. (so you'd select all the 1080 options but leave 2160 disabled)

For example, if the V6 outputs everything at 1080 this forces your TV to do anything beyond that, i.e. the 2160 bit. Some TVs are better at this than others, but it's an easy enough test to try and un-try as necessary.

The downside is that UHD-content will be downscaled to 1080 for the TV output and then upscaled back to 2160. But like I said, experiment. With details of your TV setup, others may be able to advise more.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Did you ever get this sorted? I'm having literally the exact same problems!!! UHD is perfect but HD is god awful! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

My TV model is a Samsung UE55MU6220.

UHD is perfect, HD is so poor.

Had a play with settings but nothing seems to work effectively unfortunately.

0 Kudos