Menu
sup
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Poor HD picture qualit (V6 box)

Just had the V6 box installed yesterday and we are very disappointed with HD picture quality. The previous Sky+ box was much better. We tried changing the settings on both V6 box (video output) and our tv but that didn't help.

No help service from Virgin on the phone. We will have to cancel the subscription if this can't be fixed.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor HD picture qualit (V6 box)

Can you be more specific about what settings you've tried for the V6 video output? And what make/model of TV are you using? Without any specific detail of what settings you've tried or with what equipment, it's difficult to offer any meaningful advice.

And are there any specific channels that you are comparing?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sup
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The picture on ALL of the HD channels (including Sky sports and BT sports) is worse compared to the old Sky+ box. Our tv is Panasonic Viera TX-L42U2B Full HD LCD.

We have tried all of the video output formats (1080p, 1080i and the rest). 2160p is not supported. 

On our tv, we have played around with all of the picture settings (viewing mode, brightness, colour, etc) but it didn’t help.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have you eliminated the HDMI cable as a cause, and also tried both of the HDMI inputs?

I have a similar model and get the best picture results from having 1080p & 1080p pass-thru selected.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sup
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. Yes we did try different HDMI ports but there was no change. We are using the same HDMI cable that was used with the Sky box.

In fact, the Virgin engineer came to set up the V6 box and he used the existing Sky cable in order to save the hassle of wiring the new Virgin cable. He connected an extension onto the Sky cable. Is this possibly a cause of the inferior picture? The engineer had to leave before the V6 box could receive the full signal so we didn’t get to show him the quality of the picture.

We have tried calling Virgin but no help is available. Do you know how we can get help from their engineer? We won’t keep the box if this problem cannot be fixed.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@sup wrote:

In fact, the Virgin engineer came to set up the V6 box and he used the existing Sky cable in order to save the hassle of wiring the new Virgin cable. He connected an extension onto the Sky cable. Is this possibly a cause of the inferior picture? The engineer had to leave before the V6 box could receive the full signal so we didn’t get to show him the quality of the picture.

Can you elaborate on that.  Are you saying that a VM Tech used non-VM cable to connect your V6 box 😳 

My gast will have never been so flabbered if that is true !!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi as John has said, why would anyone use a sky cable to receive virgin TV no wonder the pictures awful, do you mean the cable that comes in from the wall socket, or you referring to the HDMI cable that connects the V6 to the TV its not clear what you are describing. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
sup
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor HD picture quality (V6 box)

The engineer used the Sky HDMI cable to connect the V6 box to the TV.

From the Virgin wall socket, he added some kind of extension (a metal frame with cables) to connect to another Sky cable. There is then a Virgin cable between that Sky cable and the V6 box.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi as you keep mentioning the Sky cable, not the HDMI one, I think you would best be advised to request another engineer to sort this out as others have also said the sky cable should not be connected to any virgin equipment. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
oxfordmark
Up to speed
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I find Sky Sports HD to be poor, the lines of the pitch flicker and looks blurry.

0 Kudos