Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Please sort out the HD channel numbers

I noticed today that ITV HD on 113 didn't look HD. I nearly reset my box before realising that 113 is now SD, 103 is HD. It makes sense to have HD channels earlier in the list, but it seems to happen with no clear pattern or organisation. The other ITV channels haven't changed, BBC 2 and Channel 5 changed a while ago, BBC 1 and C4 haven't. Why do we even have SD variants on a V6 box? 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please sort out the HD channel numbers

Some HD channels like the other ITV HD channels are only in certain TV packs. So the SD channels are there for customers who don't have those TV packs but do have the SD version.

For other channels like Channel 4 and up till recently ITV1, there are more SD regional variations than HD versions. So both are retained.

ITV have now resolved this and all regions are now in HD which is why ITV1 HD has moved to 103. I'd think the SD version on 113 will disappear eventually.

Channel 4 is in HD on 104 in London (and no SD version exists) as that's the region for the HD version of the channel.

And for the channels like BBC 2 and Channel 5 they are the same for HD and SD, so now that all Virgin Media boxes can deal with HD channels then only the HD version exists.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please sort out the HD channel numbers

@mattbabs wrote:

I noticed today that ITV HD on 113 didn't look HD. I nearly reset my box before realising that 113 is now SD, 103 is HD. It makes sense to have HD channels earlier in the list, but it seems to happen with no clear pattern or organisation. The other ITV channels haven't changed, BBC 2 and Channel 5 changed a while ago, BBC 1 and C4 haven't. Why do we even have SD variants on a V6 box? 

The ITV channel swap has now happend as all ITV regions are now available in HD for the first time. The other ITV channels won't change as the HD versions are not available on all TV packs, the same goes for many other channels. BBC2 changed to a single service for England hence the swap, the same as Channel 5, that previously had seperate regional advertising on SD. Channel 4 still has regional advertising, which is why it is only in HD on 104 in the London area.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos