Menu
MSGlow
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Picture quality

Can any one tell me why the picture quality with the digital signal from my rooftop aerial into my Sony Bravia via You View is so so so much better than the cable pic from Virgin via my V6 box? The difference is jaw dropping. Why am I paying all this money for an end product that isn’t as good as a free service? It was only through yet another Virgin outage that spurred me into auto tuning the TV with the coax aerial cable connected... and what a revelation! To all those who haven’t done it, do try it. Are we being duped by Virgin into paying for an inferior product? 

0 Kudos
Witsenday
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Picture quality

Hi,

I believe it's to do with the processing power of your Sony TV, rather than YouView itself. Until recently, I was using a BT YouView box(Humax DTR-T2100) and the difference in picture quality between that and the V6 was undetectable to my eye.

I did plug the aerial cable directly into my Hisense Roku TV that uses Freeview (pretty much the same as YouView in terms of channel content) and found the picture quality WORSE than either the BT YouView or V6.

But yes, in some senses I think the TV services that are provisioned are of less quality. I don't think Virgin is necessarily any less quality than what other providers are offering.

I take it you've adjusted the video settings in the V6? I believe there is a setting that will allow the TV to do the processing rather than the V6 box itself. You select ALL video formats and this passes the signal straight through to allow the TV to upscale. That may help.

MSGlow
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Witsenday, many thanks for your input. Very interesting. I haven’t adjusted anything with the V6, I plugged it in last September and to be honest it was a bit of a nightmare setting it up and not knocking out the old TiVo one upstairs. I was just so relieved to get them both working with the help of a Virgin agent on the blower that I’ve not tweaked anything. How do you go about altering the v6 video settings and how does that help with the cable picture quality? Sorry if I’m asking obvious daft questions...

0 Kudos
Witsenday
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Press HOME on remote

Scroll down to HELP & SETTINGS

Right press to SETTINGS

Select VIDEO OUTPUT

Select VIDEO OUTPUT FORMAT

(If you press INFO at this stage it explains the settings)

Select ALL boxes by moving up or down and putting a tick in all of them by pressing OK.

I'm not an engineer. I don't know how it works exactly, or if it will work for you, but it won't harm to try it. I guess it works in the same way as it does taking the signal from your aerial and letting the TV do the rest.

MSGlow
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Good lord... I’ve done as you suggested and it has noticeably improved the picture quality! Many thanks for this. 

Witsenday
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Oh, that's great! Glad to help

0 Kudos
Pete_Notts
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That's good advice - but worth trying only 2160 and 2160 pass through in those settings.

I have a Panasonic GZ2000. When I enable all, and then exit back to TV, the "info" button for my TV remote, shows 1080i/50Hz

When selecting just the two 2160 options, and repeat above step, then my TV info shows 3840X2160/50Hz - and it is noticeably sharper than the first method - which makes sense I guess 🙂

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Everyone's experience will differ here, and as you've already found, sometimes the default settings aren't the best.

For many people who have HD-TVs, leaving only 1080 ticked works the best, the V6 will then output in 1080 regardless of channel - and for SD or older channels, the box will upscale and this generally works well.

If you have a 4K UHD TV and leave these settings, the V6 will output in 1080 and your TV upscale to 2160. The alternate option is to enable 2160 in your V6 settings, and the V6 will then upscale everything. Different TVs are better at this, so experimenting is the key - default settings rarely suit everyone.

I'd also recommend a read of https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-watching-4k-ultra-hd-content which has a few useful hints.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MSGlow
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks japitts. There is clearly more to it than meets the eye. I shall experiment with the settings...

0 Kudos
crypticc
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello -

The advice on tuning the resolution options is definitely something you should do.

But even then you will still see certain channels and even shows on the same channel are better than others.

In my experience they're clearly allocating more bandwidth to BBC than any of the other channels. e.g. when the wife was into Strictly and it's related shows leading upto xmas it was very obviously a much higher quality than any other channel - borderline as good as the so-called UHD streams on the Virgin channel.  

But on the other hand the sky channels, but also Dave, SciFi, food and especially Sky movies, Virgin movies and the TV shows commissioned from the USA are all especially bad tuning, with heavy compression and especially bad with movement and dark tones. No amount of tuning will fix that. 

I don't do this as a rule but when it's at it's worst I have compared stuff from the Virgin TV channels to streaming from both other legal streams, Netflix, iPlayer, Amazon Prime but also "less official" sources.  To my eyes at least the Virgin-supplied materials clearly indicate we've not paid-for the highest bandwidth version of the show and broadly equivalent to unofficial 720p streams.  I've consistently wondered if actually those are the native resolutions of the Virgin streams and you can see that because sometimes when watching "HD" shows I had found that turning off all other resolution options except 720p can sometimes yield the best visible results. 

I don't even watch Sky anymore but as I said I don't as a rule use dodgy streams.  Next renewal I'll prob ditch the lot and use the on-demand sky services for when I need it.  Most films that I watch now are streamed from Netflix, Amazon, Disney etc and I only keep the full package because it's more expensive to remove and still keep the other Sports channels.

Good luck in your hunt for the ideal setup and I hope you find something that works for you.

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------
2011 TiVo scaling bug

TiVo upscaling output

2017 Tivo-scaling bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

0 Kudos