Menu
SCHONBOB
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Picture breaking up and loss of signal

A couple of weeks ago certain channels started playing up. ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 (aswell as variations of these channels) were not watchable as the picture and sound was constantly breaking up. They somehow sorted themselves out. Now, it’s happening again. This time with the BBC channels and Channel 5 (again). Plus more recently ITV has started to break up just a little at the bottom of the screen. They work completely fine on Freeview. I have pulled out multiple cables and tested and swapped etc, aswell as turning the box on and off. Nothing has worked. Please help. 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture breaking up and loss of signal

Hi SCHONBOB,

Have you looked at Check service status at the top of the page? You can also a run a test on your equipment from there.

If nothing is showing  you could also try the  Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

Do you have more than one VM box? If so you could try swapping them around to help determine if it's a box or signal issue.

If there are no issues showing, and no error messages on the box then you could try either of the following.

You could try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of TV Faults  to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days to get a reply, however VM are trying to answer within 24 hours

You can also call  150 from your Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 2 (Faultsbut best to call at 8am to avoid call queues

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
SCHONBOB
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the Check Service Status thing but it said nothing was wrong. I only have the one box. I’ll try the Service Status number thanks. 

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello SCHONBOB

Thanks for your post regarding the poor picture on certain channels

I have checked a few things and we currently have an SNR issue in your local area 

This can cause intermittent and slow Broadband, which in turn has a knock on effect for TV services. This includes on demand and pixelation 

The review date for this is the 08/09/2020 and is under reference number F008368750  

We will have this fixed asap 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
SCHONBOB
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I received a text from Virgin Media earlier today saying they’ve fixed the problem and to reset the box. I did that. Upon turning the tv on tonight the problem is still persisting. On BBC 2 HD at least. Not as bad as it was, all of the channels mellowed out eventually, but it still breaks up now and again. 

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @SCHONBOB

Thanks so much for popping back last week - I have checked your account and can see that the area issue was indeed closed as resolved. How have things been since your post? 

At the time of checking, your box is currently in standby so I'm limited with what information I can see but I can confirm that we have no known area issues listed for this issue at the time of writing - all seems to be looking ok at this end. 

Is it just the picture quality that you're having issues with and is it just the HD channels that seem to be impacted? 

Your connection between your box and Hub are also looking great - it's a wired connection and the signal is good also. 

If you're still having issues since your post a week ago, please do pop back so we can take a closer look if needed; just ensure that your box is turned on and not on Standby,

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
SCHONBOB
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Last week everything went ok. Bar the odd little blip on BBC 2. Now it’s all gone wrong again. BBC 1 & 2 are unwatchable, as are ITV and Comedy Central. 

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Very sorry you're having some further issues with this. 

I've had another look and it does look like a few things are off. 

Can I ask for you to do a reboot for me and I can see how things are after that, if it's still an issue then I think we'll need to send an engineer out. 

Let me know when the reboot has been done. 

Thanks 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
SCHONBOB
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have reset the box but it is still no good. BBC 1, 1 HD, 2 HD, ITV and Comedy Central HD are the worst affected. There are some channels that work fine but there are a lot I haven’t tried yet. 

0 Kudos
SCHONBOB
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

All variations of BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 are no longer working, including Comedy Central HD. The picture is pixelated and broken up so much you can’t see the picture and the sound is nearly as bad. It’s getting worse. 

0 Kudos