Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Picture & Sound Drop Out

Hi, new to Virgin and been having problems with the picture and sound dropping out regularly for a couple of seconds. I’m connected directly to the tv and have tried changing hdmi cables and even swapping the V6 box with the one from another room. Same problem. I’ve read on here that others are having the same problem but can’t seem to find a solution.

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture & Sound Drop Out

Does your troubleshooting therefore mean that if 2 V6's do it, then there might be a problem with the the TV? Have you tried putting a different TV or computer monitor onto the V6 to see if it still persists.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I have other input devices to the tv, none of which have the same problem. I still have a Sky box connected too - with no issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

But there may be an "incompatibility issue" between your tv and just a V6 box - not other devices.
When I had a "sound cut out" problem on my new Samsung TV (not a 4K) last summer, my first thought was to call VM to get the V6 fixed. But I did some digging on the Samsung forums (UK & US) where there are literally dozens of posts from people experiencing all sorts of sound and picture issues with their new TV's connecting to their favourite cable TV "box". Long story short... I contacted Samsung UK support who said “one of our representatives can remotely access your TV to perform the HDMI EDID rewriting before establishing the connection with the V6 box and the other HDMI-supported external devices”. Did that and problem solved.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That’s interesting - it’s a Samsung UHDTV I have. Will look into that thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is the HDMI cable spec'd for 4K/UHD? Have you changed it ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:
But there may be an "incompatibility issue" between your tv and just a V6 box - not other devices.
When I had a "sound cut out" problem on my new Samsung TV (not a 4K) last summer, my first thought was to call VM to get the V6 fixed. But I did some digging on the Samsung forums (UK & US) where there are literally dozens of posts from people experiencing all sorts of sound and picture issues with their new TV's connecting to their favourite cable TV "box". Long story short... I contacted Samsung UK support who said “one of our representatives can remotely access your TV to perform the HDMI EDID rewriting before establishing the connection with the V6 box and the other HDMI-supported external devices”. Did that and problem solved.

I contacted Samsung and they reset the hdmi edid. I’ll monitor the situation for a bit and post in a couple of days to let the forum know if it solves the problem - just in case anyone else has the same issue.

Thanks again

0 Kudos