Menu
N4th4n
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Pick up where I left off?

Hi,

I’ve recently switched from Sky to Virgin and are struggling with the box a little. When I watch something on Demand etc then stop part way through, when I come back to the show it starts from the beginning. I have read on other topics that I should be able to press the arrow to the right and select resume but it’s not there! The fast forward also takes an age, please help!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pick up where I left off?

@N4th4n wrote:

Hi,

I’ve recently switched from Sky to Virgin and are struggling with the box a little. When I watch something on Demand etc then stop part way through, when I come back to the show it starts from the beginning. I have read on other topics that I should be able to press the arrow to the right and select resume but it’s not there! The fast forward also takes an age, please help!

There are 2 On Demand systems that are in use on Virgin Media:

1) The system used by apps like BBC iPlayer, & Sky Movies that access the content providers own servers via your Broadband.

2) All the others use Virgins own legacy CATV DVB-C broadcast playout system (from the days before Broadband internet existed). This creates a unique broadcast stream from the local cable headend to your segment of the network that only your box can receive.

Only method 1 will allow you to store the position you were watching at. With method 2 there is no way the system or your box can “store” the unique broadcast stream once you stop watching. In fact as soon as you stop, the stream is freed up for another customer to use as there are a finite number of streams available per network segment.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

With Sky On Demand you download films or TV shows but VM's TV boxes have no such facility. The nearest equivalent is the Virgin TV Go app on IOS, Android and Windows mobile phones and tablets which enables you to download some episodes of catch-up and on demand box-sets.

I don't watch much On Demand, preferring to record the TV programmes.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VMs boxes have never had a download facility as customers all have access to fibre broadband. Sky had to allow for customers on slow ADSL connections so downloading was allowed to avoid all the buffering that would result.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos