Menu
RoseRodent
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

One way network issue with 2 V6 boxes

I have 2 V6 boxes, Hub 4 and an Asus router. After a truly tortuous setup process involving 4 engineers and a faulty box, we WERE up and running. Now I cannot access shows from the downstairs box upstairs. I've had error, network cable is unplugged and error your network is too slow over and over again. The upstairs box can see the downstairs one and list the shows and when I go into a show I get a ten second black screen, 2 seconds of show, buffering, 1 second, buffer, 1 second, buffer, drop out to error message. Both boxes are on Ethernet, the network diagnostics for both boxes are fine. There are tiny signs of them trying to communicate with each other on the router diagnostics, but it's fractions of a mb for less than a second then activity dies down again. 

Here's how I'm sure it's not a network cable issue: watching shows from the upstairs on the downstairs box is flawless, watching shows from the downstairs box via wi-fi on my phone is flawless. YouTube and iPlayer work fine on both boxes. The only "network cable unplugged" issue is when playing downstairs shows on the upstairs box. 

Any ideas? I would try tech support but I don't fancy another 62 minutes of hold music followed by a hangup. 

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: One way network issue with 2 V6 boxes

Can you conduct a speedtest on the upstairs box?

Go to help and there is a speedtest app at the top, while the speedtest is running press play and it shows your the speed.
0 Kudos
RoseRodent
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Averages about 106 down and 52 up over 3 tests, with the timer thing at the end showing as 41.8s. Definitely wouldn't describe it as either slow or unplugged! 

0 Kudos
Oyster
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Check over the settings in your Asus router, and on the V6 box look in the help files there is something there about the ports that need to be open. It's been a long time since I set mine up but somewhere there is information about connecting between two boxes.
First just make sure the settings on your router arent the problem
0 Kudos
RoseRodent
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No settings have been changed between when it worked and when it stopped working, everything is the same. Settings are the same for both boxes. Can't see any logic for this to be about open ports as that's external traffic, this is communication within the network. Both boxes can talk to the internet, both boxes can talk to the app to play shows within my network, one box can talk to the other but not the other way around. I can't see a reason in a network for it to work only one way unless one end is manually blocked, which it isn't. At 11am today it worked! Absolutely nothing was changed from yesterday. Went off to a meeting, came back, now I'm "network cable unplugged" again. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Problem seems to be the upstairs box just doesn't ask for the data. When I play upstairs shows downstairs both boxes immediately show exchange of data on the router diagnostics, and they continue doing so consistently as the show plays. To play downstairs shows upstairs there's an initial flicker of life where upstairs does a 0.3mb up traffic and a 0.1mb down but then it stops, never to resume. 

0 Kudos
Oyster
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What happens if you swap the boxes around? You say one box works fine but what happens if you now swap the boxes?
0 Kudos