Menu
lloyd36
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

On Demand Not Working

Hi,

My On Demand Services aren't working properly, and I have a problem with the Virgin TV Control App also.
I've switched everything off & on again, but still is doesn't work properly.
Netflix, via channel 204, loads, takes ages to start a programme & then, if it does play, constantly buffers. I have done a 'Check Your Network' in Netflix & everything is fine, but tells me I have zero speed, I have also tried Netflix & Disney+ via the LG TV apps, & similar happens on there also.

The TV Control App works, but I can't get the guide on it, as it tells me the V6 box & the app are not connecting & to turn this Off & On again. I have done that & it still won't show the Guide, the Remote Control does work.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem and found a solution.
The TV also comes up with the error code C501, when trying the main Home page menu for the On Demand services & the help page suggests to Contact Virgin Media.
I don't wish to hang on the telephone helpline too long tomorrow morning, as I am supposed to be 'working from home.'

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: On Demand Not Working

Your V6 gets its internet connection via your home superhub, so how is that connection made? I'd assume WiFi, but can you confirm?

On your V6, follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, your connection status is shown in the top-right. What does it say?

There is advice on your error message at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-error-codes/c501 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
lloyd36
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I did this yesterday evening, & as far as I can recall, the box said everything was working okay.

I called the help desk, took just under 60 minutes (59:35 to be exact) to get to talk to someone.
He done stuff over at his side, but the 'On Demand' is still not working as it should.
Connection speed is what it should be & everything else works fine, takes a bit of time to delete recordings, and the Guide in the TV Control App doesn't populate, but comes up with a message saying roughly 'is the box on, have you checked settings etc..'
He said it sounds like the box has developed a fault & has booked an engineer to swap the box over.
If this happens (we've been moved into tier 36 since then) what happens to my unwatched recordings.

Also, if it is the V 6 box causing this how does that affect trying to watch On Demand things like Netflix & Disney+ via the apps on the LG TV.

0 Kudos
lloyd36
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 TV box - on demand not working

Posted in the wrong thread

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@lloyd36 wrote:

If this happens (we've been moved into tier 36 since then) what happens to my unwatched recordings.

If your box is swapped, you will lose all the recordings on it. I'd start making a note of what you've got recorde, and you might be surprised by what's available OnDemand these days.

@lloyd36 wrote:

Also, if it is the V 6 box causing this how does that affect trying to watch On Demand things like Netflix & Disney+ via the apps on the LG TV.

It doesn't! If you're using your Smart TV, it will use the internet via your VM Superhub but your V6 has no involvement whatsoever.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

lloyd36
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that's what I thought re using the apps via the Smart TV.
They should have no interaction with the TV box at all.
Something I did mention at the time, but forgot to follow up later in the call.
Yes, have got pen & paper ready to note down all recorded shows & forthcoming series records.
We#ll see what the engineer discovers on Friday.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've just noticed something else you mentioned about the TV Control app not working. Is this when your V6 is switched on, or in standby?

If the latter, just check your power-saving isn't set to Eco, as that won't work with the app.

0 Kudos
lloyd36
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I checked the box settings & it wasn't in Eco mode

The box was on & since Sunday the Guide in the app does not populate, just returns the error message.

Everything else works perfectly with the app.  I can use the remote, look at planned recordings & view current recordings.

0 Kudos
lloyd36
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Okay, I have hard reset everything by turning off & on again via the wall plugs. Seemed to have worked, as am now watching a Simpson episode on Disney+ via the Smart TV app. No problems loading in the programme, no pixelation. Also the TV control app now populated the Guide with channels & programme information. I will test put Netflix via the TV app & then try the On Demand section on the Virgin TV box. Next, should I cancel the engineer visit, probably in my estimation.

0 Kudos
gazzetta
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

My On Demand does not work when I change from default DNS servers in router settings (I'm in modem mode so the change is on my non-Virgin router). If you are using OpenDNS or Google or Cloudflare or similar then default back and try again.

0 Kudos