Menu
GCS501
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

On Demand / 4OD Don't Work.

These things all work fine: Internet / Normal TV / iPlayer app / Netflix app.

When we try to play anything through ITV Hub / 4OD / On-Demand, the adverts finish and then it is just a blank screen. 4OD worked fine when we first got the box but hasn't functioned for about three weeks.

Really strange. No error message or error code appears. On Demand viewing is just stuck on that red blob with the "Virgin TV" logo. No it isn't paused.

Anyone got anything similar?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: On Demand / 4OD Don't Work.

There's been a few posts lately reporting similar.

There is a V6 software update doing the rounds, this may be entirely unrelated but worth checking whether you have the latest software. If you follow Home > Help Settings > System > System Info, and check the software version towards the top.

I presume you've tried the obvious and restarted the box once?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

GCS501
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this - for some reason i didn't get an email saying someone had replied! Apologies.

I have restarted the box, but I will also now try to ensure the software is up to date as well.

Appreciate it!

G

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Can you confirm what model of TV you have?

I'm making a guess that's an older 4K TV, so if it is can you advised which HDMI input the V6 is connected to and if you've got any AV kit in between the V6 and the TV?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
GCS501
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben,

Yes - it's this one https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-40UB800V

4OD was working fine on it until about ~3 weeks ago...

The V6 box is directly plugged into HDMI2, with no interceding AV equipment.

Thanks - any insight appreciated.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As part of the recent firmware update the requirement of HDCP 2.2 copy protection has been extended where the V6 is set to 2160p - previously that only really applied to apps such as Netflix (for certain setups) but it now also applies to the On Demand content too now.

So for that TV the V6 needs to be connected to HDMI 1 - that is the port that supports HDCP 2.2

See Page 25 of the Owner's manual here https://www.lg.com/uk/support/product/lg-40UB800V

The alternative is to change the V6 output to 1080p which drops the HDCP version used back to 1.x which is supported on all HDMI inputs on a 4K TV.

GCS501
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Grand, thanks. Hadn't realised the HDMI ports were any different from each other at all! Just always assumed they were 3 identical ones in case folks needed three things connected to their televisions.

Much appreciated. Seems to have solved everything.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

For HD that's true generally.

But for 4K it's been a bit of a 'chase the standard' over the last few years, and the older the 4K kit the more you need to pay attention as to how it's all connected.

As your TV only has the one HDMI input that supports HDCP 2.2. you'll need to look at a 4K HDMI switching device if you ever get more 4K capable kit such as a games console or streaming stick.
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

HI GCS50, thanks for contacting us regarding the issue you have been having with the OnDemand service. We are glad to see that you were able to get this resolved and let us know if you need anything. Have a good night - Chris 

0 Kudos
madacj
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi BenMcr I’m having the same issues as the Original Poster. On Demand and the itv hub app I get through one set of initial adverts but then the content doesn’t play. I have a 4k TV but it only has 1 hdcp 2.2 port which is in use for something else that need hdcp 2.2. I assume my v6 has been given this new software update? If so how can I tell. Like the other guy it was working fine till recently with the box on 2160p. Now on demand only seems to work if I put the box on 1080p.

I assume there is no way for the box to go back to the previous software? I have read online that a hdmi splitter can solve these issues related to hdcp 2.2? It’s so damn annoying, at the time I was buying my tv I tried to find one with more than 1 2.2 port just seemed impossible at the time in 2015.

Thanks

0 Kudos