Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Oled tv with virgin v6.

Is 4k Oled worth having with a v6 box? Will the upscaling look any different. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Oled tv with virgin v6.

I have an LG OLED, it looks pretty good, can't  say if it's any different as it's the only 4k i've had

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you get a 4K OLED - you have the tell TiVo to let the TV do the upscaling for (usually) best results.

V6 output settings are best at:  2160, 2160 passthru and 1080p.

==================================
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Im in the same boat. Got an LG B9 and struggling with the settings for the best picture. I take it when watching films and stuff in HD i wont notice a difference and will only notice it with HDR programmes?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sites like this are a good guide for picture settings https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b9-oled/settings

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have an LG OLEDB7V. I have gone back and forth between doing the settings as suggested above or just leaving everything at 2160p on the V6. I have had my tv professionally calibrated so that’s locked down. To be honest, I think the V6 does a good job of upscaling. I found the short black screen that happens when the box switches between video formats (depending on what you are watching) to be quite annoying so left everything at 2160p and it looks great. 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thinking of going to 4k oled. At the moment I have a Sony 4k LED is there a big difference in the picture quality and is it worth the outlay. I have watched Oled demo's and they do look amazing to be honest. Just do not want to be disappointed when I actually have one in the home. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How much is it for TV calibration and is it worth the money? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I paid around £200 but that was because the guy that I used travelled a fair distance. Was it worth it? I will say for me, definitely yes... but I am a bit of an obsessive and was constantly playing with the picture settings (whilst not really knowing what I was doing) so having someone calibrate it, I now just leave it as he set the TV in the happy knowledge that the settings are as good as possible... and issues with picture are then a problem with the source signal. If you have a really good TV panel (OLED, for example) I would say it's worth it to get the best out of the panel... 

I have not even wanted to do anything to the settings since it was calibrated as the picture is soooo fantastic. Dolby Vision stuff is absolutely incredible. Also, my other half is quite happy as I no longer keep changing the settings in the middle of watching something 🙂

So, for me it was definitely worth it. But I guess you need to balance the cost with how much "value" you'll get from it... if you are happy with one of the pre-set options with perhaps a bit of tweaking, then I would say you probably don't need to get it calibrated. There are LOADS of websites which offer "optimal" settings for each type of telly. have a go with some of those first.. you may find that does the trick... and if you're still not happy, you can always get it calibrated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hey - check last link in my signature.  I don't know when they fixed it, but sometime between earlier 20.9.1 RC2 and 20.9.2 RC3 you can now pick all of the options and TiVo makes a better effort to get passthrough of most resolutions (except in Netflix and YouTube), and also passthrough of most framerates in Netflix at least (but not in YouTube, and of course iPlayer is fixed to 50i, 25p or 50p)

----------------------------------------------------------
2011 TiVo scaling bug

TiVo upscaling output

2017 Tivo-scaling bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

0 Kudos