Menu
PeterP1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Old TiVo box with V6 boxes

I’ve 3x v6 boxes & 1 old TiVo box. Is the only way I can watch recordings made on any of the v6 boxes on the TiVo box by running an Ethernet from the router to the TiVo box which is far from ideal in my case?

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old TiVo box with V6 boxes

You may be best looking into WiFi extenders, or trying to connect both boxes to the same WiFi network, it's been a while since I've dealt with this but if memory serves me correctly then you need to be either connected to both by Ethernet, or one by Ethernet and the other 5GHz WiFi so they can communicate properly.

I forget if 2.4GHz works for both of them, you'd need to try that one yourself.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
PeterP1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

When you say extenders I have recently installed the BT WiFi mesh system that has massively helped with WiFi all round the house. Do I need to connect all my tv boxes to the BT mesh also then? All very confusing LOL

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The old TiVo boxes can only be connected to your home network via ethernet, they don't have WiFi functionality.

If your mesh system has ethernet ports then you could connect the TiVo by cable to that. The V6 boxes will need to be on the same network either via ethernet cable or WiFi.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
PeterP1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Right thanks I see. Could I also use one of those things that plug into the mains by the router & the old TiVo box then an Ethernet cable from the plug in things to the router & old TiVo box? Think the WiFi then goes through the house electrics effectively that way & I get an Ethernet connection at the old TiVo box? Apologies if I make no sense at all!!!

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that is how I connect my V6 and TiVo to the home network.  The TiVo has since been swapped out for a second V6 but still uses the same connection.

You should probably turn off the WiFi signal from the powerline adapters as this might interfere with your mesh system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
PeterP1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help👍👍

0 Kudos
PeterP1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Share recordings between tv boxes

Hi, is it possible to share recordings in shows between 3x v6 boxes & 1x old TiVo box. Some times I seem to be able to & sometimes not with a fault c423 appearing when not..... Any ideas why?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've put your new post with your previous ones on the same subject 😉

As per https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-error-codes/c423 this indicates a problem with the WiFi link to one of your V6.

What you effectively have is V6 <---- WiFi/Wireless link 1 -----> Superhub <----- WiFi/wireless link 2 -----> V6

One of those connections is likely too slow or too weak. It's the same connection that each V6 will use for OnDemand & streaming, so do those work ok?

You can test them using Home > Help & Settings > Help > TV Care > (Top of screen) > TV Speed test

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

PeterP1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help, I’ve now done the connection checks & played something on demand on the 3x V6 boxes & they are working good. When I went to do the connection check the same way on the old TiVo box the facility isn’t there but it says connection is ok in other settings, I can play on demand shows on the old TiVo also.

I think the issue may be with my set up on the 4 tv boxes & you may understand if I explain what I have...

Box 1 V6 - Ethernet wired direct to BT whole home disc, the BT disc is wired to the hub 3 router.

Box 2 V6 - wirelessly connected via the BT mesh

Box 3 V6 - wirelessly connected via the BT mesh

Box 4 old TiVo - power line Ethernet connection via one of the BT mesh discs.

I had to install the BT Home mesh discs as prior to using these WiFi was very poor for around the house.

0 Kudos