Menu
Elseeel
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Obtaining V6 & Hub3 issues

Hi everyone. I would be interested to know whether it is just me or if others have had issues with the following;

1. Hub3 delivery – in August I went to the site as advised by Virgin, selected one of the offered dates and received confirmation of my request. However, after waiting in all day on the specified day, there was no sign of the new Hub.
  2. V6 – I had been told in-store that I could not have a V6 as my broadband, TV & phone bundle was ‘too small’ and, when asked if I could pay for one, was advised I would have to upgrade my bundle. I have since found out that the first part is correct (which I am neither able to afford nor want), however it appears that I could purchase one.

Although it has taken me a while to post this due to illness, I would still be interested in others experiences before I decide whether it is worth trying to request again or see if I can get what I need elsewhere.    

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Obtaining V6 & Hub3 issues

What type of experiences of the Hub3 & V6 are you interested in exactly?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Elseeel
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alessandro and thanks for your response. With the V6, having recently had to permanently pack in work due to terminal ill-health problems and being more housebound than I previously was, the facility to record more channels at once which this offers is of benefit (as most programmes I am interested in seem to be on at similar times). 

With regards to the Hub3, Virgin offered the 'upgrade' offering higher speeds etc. Although not necessarily required, my order for this was not delivered.

It is the services provided, or rather not provided, that I am a bit upset and frustrated about. Research shows that I could get these better services from another provider for a cheaper price, but I was interested in others experiences and if these were resolved before I do anything as I do try to be loyal to service providers.      

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Firstly.... its John not Alessandro - that's just what VM have chosen to call me 😀

Re. the Hub3 there is a free upgrade scheme running - see the details I put up in this recent thread....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/New-Super-Hub-Request/td-p/4077631

However, you dont say which Hub you currently have - SH1,SH2,SH2ac ? If you have the SH1 - you should defintly go for the upgrade. If you have an SH2 variant and its running fine and you are not planning to increase your speed package - I would stick with it until it "breaks".

Re. the V6 - I have 3 of them and I think they are very good - a quantum leap better than the older Tivo or V boxes. They record and save multiple programmes at the same time with ease. They do need to be connected to the Hub though.  This is best done by ethernet cable and the engineer will do that for you if the V6 & Hub are close together.  If not, they will connect it by wifi - which is often fine (mine are) - but it does depend on how good your wifi connection/signal is at the V6's location.

They are not cheap to get at the moment though.  This is what VM say about the current install costs...

Virgin TV V6 box: There is a £99.95 fee for existing customers taking their first Virgin TV V6 plus £35 set up fee. Virgin TV V6 box included with selected bundles. New customers taking their first Virgin TV V6 will not be charged extra. Customers wishing to upgrade or take an additional V6 will be charged an upfront fee of £99.95, but the £35 set up fee applies. New Ultimate Oomph customers get second Virgin TV V6 box for free (plus £35 set up fee). Additional Virgin TV V6 boxes are available for £99.95 plus £35 set up fee plus £7.50 per month. Additional Virgin TV V6 boxes are available to new customers for £49.95 plus £35 set up fee plus £7.50 per month.

However, as a potentially disabled customer you ought to be able to negotiate a better deal and get some charges waived with them - doing it can sometimes be tricky though.

The place to start is to try calling “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-5 "Thinking of leaving" - they are open 8am until 10pm but calling early between 08.00-11.00 is best, when you will usually get a UK call centre who’s staff are more informed and helpful
Tell them your situation and that you are thinking of leaving for Sky/BT because you can get a good new customer deal - and they will try and sort it for you (as it’s their job to keep customers).  Make sure you are happy with any offer and aware of any additional charges before you accept anything though.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Elseeel
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for the name confusion, it's my first time using any sort of forum and was not aware how it works - lesson learnt!

Thanks so much for your comprehensive response which is much appreciated.

For the Hub, I ordered this as part of their free upgrade but this wasn't delivered on the date I selected. I believe I have the SH1 which I got when I first joined Virgin 8-9 years ago so it seems that, even though I find speeds ok at the moment, I would notice a significant difference with the latest hub.

For the V6, I eventually found that I could buy one, only after being told that I could not get one free as part of my package which I was not overly happy about but partly understand. My frustration was that I was also incorrectly told by Virgin that I could not even buy one. 

Your suggestion for taking this forward is appreciated although I will have to write to them due to issues using the telephone.

Thank you for your time with assisting me with this and sharing your knowledge and experience.

Kind regards

John   

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The information that VM gave you re not being able to buy a V6 box is absolutely correct.  Anyone who tells you otherwise are potentially trying to con you.

All VM main equipment is rented from them during the life of your contact.  Anyone trying to sell VM equipment is doing so illegally.

Stick to the advice already given and try the retentions department.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Elseeel
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this information and my phrasing may not have been the best. I am aware that the equipment is still the property of Virgin and that when saying 'buying' I was more meaning 'to pay for the use of' (which is what I was trying attain). 

Apologies for any misunderstandings 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No worries, just wanted to fire a warning shot.

We often see posters here wondering why they can't get equipment to work, having aquired it from some online seller or similar.

PS. So sorry to hear about your health problems.  I hope you can find a way to be as comfortable as possible as time goes on.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Elseeel
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Your comments were much appreciated and wouldn't personally get equipment such as this from elsewhere, whatever the price.

Thanks for your PS 🙂

Kind regards

John

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Elseeel, 

Welcome to our community forum page, it's great to have you on board. 

I understand that you're interested in upgrading your current Hub and TiVo® box for a Hub 3.0 and V6 box, our team would be more than happy to assist with this and I have now sent you a private message so we can get everything sorted out for you. 

You will be able to access your private messages by clicking on the purple envelope which is located at the top right hand side of your screen. 

Regards,

Dean C