Menu
rupertexists
Joining in
Message 21 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy V6 box

My 2nd v6 box is noisier, alot noiser, i can hear it across the room - conclusion - all v6 boxes are not the same.  I should have stuck with the 1st one, ha ha.  It seems to me that the noise is a fan - it doesn't sound like a HD at all, it is always on at the same level, no write/reading sounds at all, just a whirling sound, yes it is a fan no doubt.  If I cover the top the noise levels drop significantly therefore, I suggest, that if you have something resting on the v6 box then it should be pretty much silent - of course you sohuld never block the vent holes or else it may over heat.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 22 of 40
Flag for a moderator

With owned equipment you pop the lid & see where the noise is coming  from.

With rented it is trickier

Staff should be able to confirm whether some / all V6 have a fan.

A fan with less than perfect bearings can be annoying, or if it’s catching on anything or if it is running fast because a vent is blocked...

The best thing to lay on top, if there ae no vents is a piece of those anti- vibration mats sold to put under washing machines. Draper do one on amazon for about £12,  its heavy rubber compound with enough mass to  make a difference

One mat would make a double layer for under a tivo/V6 and a double layer for on top of.

Or keep complaining till you get a quiet one.

0 Kudos
jhuk
Super solver
Message 23 of 40
Flag for a moderator

If you do cover the Tivo watch any vents it will overheat.

0 Kudos
kirk1690
Dialled in
Message 24 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Like Tivo and Sky plus, its the drive causing the noise , its annoyed me for years usually late at night when elsewhere is quiet ,small fans are not capable of making this degree of noise . Iv got four soft rubber pads under tivo and it doesn't make a b loody difference , desktop pcs are very noisy too same thing the hardrive.All pvrs make a noise ,only solution ,box in cupboard and long hdmi leads .My opinions result from years of experience.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 25 of 40
Flag for a moderator

for desktops. other solutions work. e.g take the hard drive(s) off of any drive rails  / out of any metal cage. sit it on foam on floor of case instead . don't move the case afterwards!

or the elastic suspension trick DIY with parts from a sewing shop ( see bottom link) or buy a Sharkoon vibe fixer 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000FLR8PE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the Nexus disk-twins, that remount the drives in a spare 5.25 bay using thick rubber slabs on each side are also effective. I use those

https://nexustek.us/accessories/disktwin

both of those can be hard to find in shops

it is all bout isolating the drive vibrations from the case

see the pictures here

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=elastic+suspension+for+hard+drive&num=20&rlz=1C1PRFC_enGB627GB627&...

none of the above will work for a tivo though but they are fun PC projects if you can't afford mega SSDs 

0 Kudos
HavencroftKev
Superfast
Message 26 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Despite all the small niggles my V6 has the noise isn't one of them it's as quiet as a mouse.

0 Kudos
sadgit1971
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I just plugged in my v6 and blimey it is loud. Really not happy at all. The whirring of the disk is just stupid as I could hardly hear the older tivo box, on pads I must admit... am I unlucky or is this it?

0 Kudos
Marni1971
Dialled in
Message 28 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Ours is whisper quiet, on glass with no pads. I'd ring customer services if it's an issue. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rose_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 29 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi sadgit1971,

Thanks for posting.

The V6 shouldn't be loud so I'll need to arrange for a technician to take a look at this for you.

I'm just going to pop you a private message which you will find if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen.

Talk to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
reddwarf4ever
Up to speed
Message 30 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Just started a new thread, then saw this one..

mine only a week old.....even OFF with the red light on NOT recording, it’s noisy, have to keep turning it off during the day, which defeats the object of having it...

will contact virgin and try and get it replaced, it is boiler than the original Tibo, which itself was noisy

0 Kudos