Menu
rupertexists
Joining in
Message 11 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy V6 box

Just got a new box 30 mins ago, still has a noisy fan.  I now assume that the all have fan noise - if you hold your head within a foot of the box very noticeable.  Can someone with a 'silent' box please check this? Thanks 

0 Kudos
PrinterElf
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 40
Flag for a moderator

The V6 box doesn't have a fan in it as far as I recall - you'll be able to hear the HDD working.

Do you usually watch TV within 30cm of the V6?

frank_gm
Superstar
Message 13 of 40
Flag for a moderator

In my living room at the moment with the TV on standby. The V6 was on standby also and I could not hear a thing, even close up. Switched it on and I still can't hear a thing, even with my ear next to it.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
JohnWB
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Well, the Tech can round with a new V6 which he connected to the mains but it was just the same.

He said they were all as noisy as that and that there was nothing else he could do.

We discussed this for a while and he said he would check more V6 boxes back at the depot and call me the next day but that never happened.

I have waited to see if anyone calls but I'm not very hopefull. 

If  anyone has a quiet one I could hear in te Teeside area that would be great.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Superstar
Message 15 of 40
Flag for a moderator

@JohnWB wrote:

Well, the Tech can round with a new V6 which he connected to the mains but it was just the same.

He said they were all as noisy as that and that there was nothing else he could do.

We discussed this for a while and he said he would check more V6 boxes back at the depot and call me the next day but that never happened.

I have waited to see if anyone calls but I'm not very hopefull

My partner arrived home and, since she tends to have more acute hearing than I do, I muted the TV and asked her to listen for any noise from the V6.

She could hear nothing so moved closer and, inches from it, she said that she could hear a faint whirring noise but emphasised it would not have been noticeable unless she had been so close.

Personally I think that the engineer is talking nonsense, not the first time an engineer has given out questionable information, or maybe their is a bad batch out there.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 16 of 40
Flag for a moderator

@frank_gm wrote:

In my living room at the moment with the TV on standby. The V6 was on standby also and I could not hear a thing, even close up. Switched it on and I still can't hear a thing, even with my ear next to it.

Hmmm - a fair test for Hard drive noise has to be when it is actually recording something.or playing back a saved show. 

A Proper stress test would be to have it recording 6 channels at once, as that's the spec. or to be playing back + recording 5 others

I would be surprised if you cannot hear anything. I have yet to meet a fixed in place mechanical hard drive that I cannot hear when it's reading/seeking/writing data. & the only way I know of to completely silence one is to sit it on a thick bed of foam or suspend it in an elastic cradle - & then there's a risk of overheating as it's not in contact with any metal casing to dissipate its heat into.

my PC data drive has two plates screwed to its side to dissipate heat ( plates salvaged from a scythe drive bay mounting kit ), then it sits on a foam bed at base of PC case, inside of but not touching the Dell drives cage. Anything rail mounted or screwed to a PC case is noisy to my ears, and it's a low pitched hum that goes straight through any acoustic foam solutions. I would expect the Tivo / V6 drive to be screwed in place. maybe a 2.5 inch , 5400 RPM drive as that's the quietest mechanical option.

tivo / V6 noise will be aggravated by any TV stand glass shelving.  a foam bed will help but it must not block any ventilation slots. placing one on the floor on plush carpet could pull in dust and could restrict cooling.Acousti feet at £5 per set are also a good option. they will not silence it but they will remove some hum.

Acousti feet at £5 per set are also a good option. they will not silence it but they will remove some hum.

https://www.quietpc.com/acoustifeet  also on ebay / amazon

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 40
Flag for a moderator

...but TiVo and V6 are always recording on all of their tuners, 3 for TiVo and 6 for V6. Every tuner is always buffering the channel it is on.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Constable21
Fibre optic
Message 18 of 40
Flag for a moderator

OK, I've just muted the sound during playback. With my ear pressed up close I can hear the faintest whirring, which becomes inaudible when I move a foot away.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 19 of 40
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

...but TiVo and V6 are always recording on all of their tuners, 3 for TiVo and 6 for V6. Every tuner is always buffering the channel it is on.

not in standby, surely.

and maybe not if tuned to a channel that is not broadcasting, though maybe the box is stupid enough to keep recording the we;ll be back on air at... message.

the guy who can hear a faint whirring noise close up has answered the question of "do quiet ones exist". Seems he has one. Perhaps he should auction it as a rare collectors item 🙂

0 Kudos
JohnWB
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I have tried holding the V6 box up in the air and it makes no difference. It's not vibrations etc, it's the actual hard drive making the noise (it's like a fans noise).

0 Kudos