Menu
a_chan24
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No tv sound on New Sony android tv 2020

I am still using a old virgin tv box (DVR8156) hardware ver 8.1, software 20.10.1.RC24-VMC-2-C00.

I upgraded from a old sony tv 49in to a sony TV android KD75XH8096BU. When connected up its fine, everything works. But when i shut the tv down for more than a few hours, when i turn the tv on, there is no sound. The tv box is set so it does not power off and so i can see the pictures but there is no sound. The TV itself has sound, as i press button it makes sound. When i change to HDMI 2 or 3 or 4 and play the connect things on them its fine and has sound. When i switch back to HDMI 1 still no sound. The only way to get sound back is to either change channels or press buttons like home or guide. Once i get sound again, its fine until i turn it off for a few hours. This doesnt happen with my old sony tv. Im wondering if its because the TV box is a old one and it doesnt particularly work well with new tech in the android tv, i have been using it for 10 years.

Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: No tv sound on New Sony android tv 2020

Hi a_chan24,

Have you tried one of the HDMI cables form a different port in HDMI port1? Or putting your TIVO box into one of the other HDMI inputs?

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
a_chan24
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

My TIVO cable goes into HDMI 1. I have already swapped and tried new cables, but its the same thing. There is sound once it starts working. Its like the TIVO box cant send the sound to the TV when my TV comes out of standby until i change channels. Its just strange as the TV does have sound. When i go to settings on my TV i can hear sounds, switching to other HDMI ports i can hear sounds. It just feels like the TIVO Box needs some kind of a kick start to sync the sound to the TV. Im not sure if changing the sound on the TIVO from Dolby to PCM will help, as my sony does have dolby digital. Or if its anything to do with the TV having the HDMI 1,2,3,4 in enhanced format by default and that the TIVO is too old so may have some problem with the new tech format.

I actually want to keep the TIVO box to HDMI 1 as it makes it easier for the older generation in the family to just turn the tv on and HDMI 1 is on by default.  Its just a hassle to have to change channels to make the sound work again from the TIVO box. Just wondering if a new update TIVO box would have this problem.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Depending on your TV manufacturer and settings you may be able to set the TV so that when it's turned on it opens in it's last state eg HDMI1 or 2

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon a_chan24,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you

Can you please confirm the model of the set top box you're using for me? Can you tell me if this issue is still on going?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
a_chan24
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi David,

I am still using a old virgin tv box (DVR8156) hardware ver 8.1, software 20.10.1.RC24-VMC-2-C00. Its not the square box, its the long shape one, tivo box I think. 

Problem is still the same, no sound until I change channels. Can't test as I dont have the upgraded v6 box so I just have to make do like this as I have googled it but no one seems to have a solution. 

Alan

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Try changing the sound output on the tivo from dolby to pcm or visa versa

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
a_chan24
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Danny,

The tivo box is left on the default which worked fine on my old sony tv. The setting is set on dolby right now. My new Sony tv has dolby digital, and I want to keep this setting as I have a sound bar and I use this from time to time so I can have surround sound. But I might give this a try to see if its to do with that.

Alan

0 Kudos
a_chan24
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so as I suspected, the tivo box should be the problem. So what i done to test this was unplugged the tivo box cable from hdmi 1 to hdmi 2. There was no sound. I know hdmi 2 has sound as I have a TV box plugged in and played something. Infact the TV box from hdmi 2 i plugged to hdmi 1 to test and there was sound. So in conclusion it means the tivo box is the source of the problem. I guess I dont have choice but stuck with the problem unless I can get a upgrade to the v6 box, not sure how abouts I go and get a new one.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If your TiVo is faulty VM will replace it for free.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos