Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No subtitles on OD content!

I am reliant on subtitles as I am hard of hearing. I am absolutely shocked that Virgin do not think accessibility for the hard of hearing is a concern, never mind a priority. This should be addressed ASAP and I think some kind of action plan needs to be published and implemented as a matter of urgency. I’m paying for OD content I’ve discovered I can’t watch. Absolutely disgraceful in this day and age. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: No subtitles on OD content!

it is not a legal requirement for everything to be subtitled. although itv and bbc have the highest live tv/on demand obligation to supply subtitles on demand is not treated the same as live tv. some channels are only legally required to subtitle 30 per cent of their output, others not at all depending on their viewership.

virgin are not though responsible for supplying subtitles, it is entirely down to the tv companies who supply the channels and virgin broadcast them. a bit like me showing a dvd to friends on my dvd player and them complaining to me that there are no subtitles on the dvd.

i do not think we will ever see the day where everything is subtitled on every channel. it simply costs too much. some channels are run by half a dozen people and get a few thousand viewers.

here is ofcoms requirement for subtitling next year.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/154921/channels-access-services-2020.pdf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Legally that may be the case, but morally it stinks. I have both Netflix and Prime and all of their content is subtitled. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi H4NV3Y

Hi thanks for you post. We appreciate the frustration that not every show has subtitles, unfortunately we can only broadcast what content we are given by our providers.

Many thanks Jodi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jodi, Perhaps you should look at the specification of your arrangement with your providers. Other providers are able to do it flawlessly, why Virgin and Sky insist on pretending this is not an issue is beyond me. Very poor customer focus and shoulder shrugging customer service. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry H4NV3Y, what Jodi said above is correct, we can only supply subtitles that have been given to us by the programme broadcasters. The content that you mention from Netflix and Amazon prime is  their content and they have supplied the subtitles to us but we don't always get the content with subtitles added from other broadcasters.

If you'd like to raise a complaint about this, you can do so using the methods detailed here.

Regards

Steven_L