Menu
pricenick
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No sound or picture, guide works fine but each time box restarts video settings change

Hi,

I've just been on hold in two separate calls for around an hour cumulatively before being cut off (no chance to speak to anybody).

I've been with Virgin since March and aside from an initial mess with getting it set up, it's been dandy.

Got back from work today and my box would not display anything or transmit any audio. No errors reported in my area and all checks said there were no errors. Reset the box by turning it on and off at the power switch on the rear for 30 seconds, which led to the Welcome screen coming on. When the EPG eventually came back, the picture was distorted (570p with gigantic borders) and every channel and recording showed only a black screen and no sound.

Tried resetting again and found the exact issue. Left it for 10 minutes and eventually some channels began displaying video but no audio (same for my recordings). Turned it on and off again and now no video or audio.

Each time the box is turned on and off (full reset or not), the video format reverts back to 570p with gigantic borders and it unselects the other options.

My TV is absolutely fine (in-built apps, other devices work without fault) and I've tried changing HDMI ports and the Virgin box is the only common denominator.

Can anyone suggest any help? I work 8am until 6pm and I can't call during those times. Not happy about being cut off twice after being on hold for so long, nor am I pleased with the prospect of missing out on all the sport that I pay a fortune for a month.

0 Kudos
pricenick
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: No sound or picture, guide works fine but each time box restarts video settings change

As an update, sent a text to the number on the website explaining my issue last night. Received a response this morning. Replied to say I was at work and then asked to respond when I was at home. Got home early at 4:15 and let them know, only for the entire message process to start again. 

No response to the message above.

Will call again in a moment.

Pretty appalling level of customer support from Virgin to not have an abundance of people available for TV problems. The whole experience has otherwise been fantastic apart from the diabolical levels of customer support when there is a problem and judging by the amount of complaints on this site just over the last few weeks, there's more than a few problems. It's 2020, their infrastructure needs to be far better than this. I shouldn't have to pay a penny for the service when the service doesn't work and the company does not have the capacity to deal with the level of customer support required.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: No sound or picture, guide works fine but each time box restarts video settings change

@pricenick wrote:

Pretty appalling level of customer support from Virgin to not have an abundance of people available for TV problems. The whole experience has otherwise been fantastic apart from the diabolical levels of customer support when there is a problem and judging by the amount of complaints on this site just over the last few weeks, there's more than a few problems.

No-one on here will defend what are undoubtedly excessive call queues to Virgin C/S at the moment, however there are reasons for it...

Many of VM's call centres have been heavily hit by the Covid pandemic, and been forced to either close outright or have reduced manning - in common with many other companies throughout the UK. VM have got many C/S agents working from home now to bolster numbers as much as possible.

In parallel, I suspect people being housebound who wouldn't otherwise have been, are reporting faults that they perhaps would otherwise have tolerated or "suffered in silence" - so call volumes are naturally higher.

Virgin Media is not the only company in this situation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
pricenick
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Apologies if I was coming across as being unreasonable/rude, however, it really is poor regardless of pandemic for the company's customer service to be run so shoddily when there is an abundance of issues with the products and services the company sells - as these forums attest to.

That's not a knock on anyone who works in customer service at all, they do a hard job and have to deal with a lot of difficult people (myself perhaps included). I hope all employees affected can get back to working and are being looked after financially by the company and aren't being made to do excessive work to cover for isolating/shielding staff.

I hope my issue gets resolved quickly and my bill reflects the fact that I've been without the services I pay for..
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@pricenick wrote:
Apologies if I was coming across as being unreasonable/rude, however, it really is poor regardless of pandemic for the company's customer service to be run so shoddily when there is an abundance of issues with the products and services the company sells - as these forums attest to.

Internet forums naturally tend to be full of people with problems. Regular users aside, people whose services are working tend not to post on here to say so!

C/S call queues are definitely a problem at the moment, that I won't argue with.

I hope you manage to get through to C/S soon, and get your issue resolved - please post back with an update either way 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
pricenick
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Update after getting through to support:

Not resolved. Still the same problems as before and it's been passed on to someone to check within the next 24 hours.

I first was able to talk to someone after 15 minutes on hold, which wasn't too bad a wait at all. She suggested checking audio settings which did not resolve the issue. She then put me through to the technical team and there was a 40-minute hold. The checks (turning the box on and off from the back so a check could be undertaken from their side) did not resolve the issue, so it's been passed on to someone in another department to look at. When I asked if there was a timeframe for when it'd be looked at, I was told in the next 24 hours.

Now, should I call tomorrow night if it's not resolved or wait for it to be resolved until Thursday night (today is Tuesday) and then call? I presume they won't call me back, or if they do, I may not be able to answer as I work 8am to 6pm most days (with commute either side).

0 Kudos
pricenick
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Update: It's been fixed!

I got home from work on Thursday and both audio and video are resolved perfectly. I got a text message on Saturday morning asking me to turn off my equipment for half an hour to reset it, which I didn't do and haven't done as I was watching TV at the time and needed the internet to make calls. 

I've no idea what caused the issue and whether or not it'll happen again. The text support service is a fine idea but the waits are too long and if you don't respond within half an hour or so (as I couldn't as I was working whenever I got a response), then you're kicked back to speaking to the bot and you have to submit your problem again, as well as your security details.

Fingers crossed the error doesn't happen again.

0 Kudos
pricenick
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The exact same problem as in my original post is now happening. It’s the weekend and I can’t watch my recorded shows or any live TV.

0 Kudos
pricenick
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Spoke on the phone for an hour and the issue seems to be resolved by connecting the HDMI cable from the V6 box to HDMI port 1 instead of 3. Never had that suggested as a fix before but there we are.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'd always recommend swapping HDMI cables & ports as a troubleshooting test, where video output issues are concerned.

0 Kudos