cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No On demand or Catch Up on V6 for a week

Katfin
On our wavelength

I haven’t had access to On Demand on Catch Up for a week on my V6 box although my old TiVo box upstairs has full access.

it says there is a network problem on the V6 when I go into settings but the TV can access all Virgin channels just not On Demand and Catch Up.

it says there is an area problem but only mentions Channel 4 catch up and not all catch up and On Demand.

it seems very strange that the TiVo box has full access and the V6 box does not.

broadband and phone are working fine.

please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If there is no Ethernet cable connected to the socket, there should be an on-screen prompt on that network connections screen, to connect to your router wirelessly.

Searching for your WiFi network and entering the password when prompted, should resolve this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TiVo has an inbuilt internet connection separate from your home broadband, and live TV doesn't use the internet. So all this means is that your V6 has lost its connection to your homehub which provides the internet connectivity.

First question therefore is, how is your V6 connected to the homehub - is it Ethernet cable or wireless?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Katfin
On our wavelength

There are wires coming out of the back of the V6 box so I don’t think it’s wireless.

The V6 box doesn’t work when the internet is down but all channels are broadband are working only the On demand and catch up aren’t working at the moment, I’m afraid I’m not very knowledgeable so will have to have Virgin sort it out.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your live TV channels do not use broadband, they use the co-ax cable.

Look at Page 3 in the install guide - https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse/docs/Virgin-TV-V6-Quickstart-Guide-for-Existing-C... - on the rear panel of your V6, is there a cable connected to the "Ethernet" socket?

Using your V6 remote, follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and post full details of what is reported on the right-side of the screen.

There's a very good chance we can help you resolve this without needing to wait for a home visit - if you're prepared to put a little bit of effort in.

Katfin
On our wavelength

There isn’t an Ethernet cable so I assume there never has been as nothing has been changed.

the message is network connection unsuccessful network cable unplugged

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If there is no Ethernet cable connected to the socket, there should be an on-screen prompt on that network connections screen, to connect to your router wirelessly.

Searching for your WiFi network and entering the password when prompted, should resolve this.

Katfin
On our wavelength

Thank you very much for your help.  I have reconnected to the wifi following your instructions!

Would it be better to be connected by Ethernet if I lose connection again?

Thank you again for taking the time to help me.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good stuff, that's a tech visit (with delay) saved.

Ethernet is always preferable to wireless if you have the choice - put one end of the cable into the back of your V6, the other end into your router - and avoid all the complications of WiFi.

Katfin
On our wavelength

Thank you again!

Hi @Katfin 

Thanks for your post!

Absolutely great to hear you've managed to resolve this, please do be sure to contact us if you ever require any further assistance. 

Have a great weekend

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs