Menu
Reply
Highlighted
  • 2
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
2,188 Views
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No ITV HD on catch-up

Why can't I watch ITV channels in HD when in catch up? ALSO, I want to watch a programme in catch up but can't find it, what's going ?

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 10.95K
  • 730
  • 1.52K
Alessandro Volta
2,178 Views
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: No ITV HD on catch-up

Are you In Scotland?

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 2
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
2,169 Views
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: No ITV HD on catch-up

No, Cardiff Wales

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 2.19K
  • 321
  • 569
Problem sorter
2,149 Views
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: No ITV HD on catch-up

No ITV content in the catch up folders is in HD. Same case with Channel 4. This is how it's been for years. Also the ITV Player app is not available on Virgin, so you are stuck with their regular On Demand system with which only a selection of content from the last 7 days is uploaded. You are best using the proper ITV Player app, either on a device such as a streaming stick (e.g Amazon Fire) or on your Smart TV (if you have one).

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 14.83K
  • 1.62K
  • 3.35K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
2,129 Views
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: No ITV HD on catch-up


@av-115 wrote:

No ITV content in the catch up folders is in HD. Same case with Channel 4. This is how it's been for years. Also the ITV Player app is not available on Virgin, so you are stuck with their regular On Demand system with which only a selection of content from the last 7 days is uploaded. You are best using the proper ITV Player app, either on a device such as a streaming stick (e.g Amazon Fire) or on your Smart TV (if you have one).


Outputting HD content on VM's broadcast type playout system quickly eats up the available mux space on the local network. Once all the OD muxes are at capacity no further customers can watch OD on that segment until other people vacate. With the amount of legacy non-internet enabled boxes now dwindling, VM is gradually switching OD services over to an internet based system as they have now for Sky Cinema. This hopefully will eventually result in a lot more HD content being available.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 2.61K
  • 51
  • 374
Problem sorter
1,127 Views
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: No ITV HD on catch-up

An old thread but still relevant....

I wanted to watch something on the ITV Hub last night but couldn't believe they ONLY have SD content and NO HD content - even when using my Smart TV's dedicated ITV Hub app.....??!

Is this the norm for the ITV Hub - do they not provide any HD content in their Hub, not matter which device you're using to watch?

🤔

 

__________________________________________________________
Husband, Dad, Gamer, Gadget Lover......
Twitter: @deans6571
0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 14.83K
  • 1.62K
  • 3.35K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
1,121 Views
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: No ITV HD on catch-up


@deans6571 wrote:

An old thread but still relevant....

I wanted to watch something on the ITV Hub last night but couldn't believe they ONLY have SD content and NO HD content - even when using my Smart TV's dedicated ITV Hub app.....??!

Is this the norm for the ITV Hub - do they not provide any HD content in their Hub, not matter which device you're using to watch?

🤔

 


Your answer is in my previous post above. You are not using the ITV Hub app, it’s just a link to VMs playout system. When ITV decides to cough up & pay for a TiVO app you will get the full service. I hope it works better than the STV app, as looking by the complaints I have seen so far people up in Scotland they would rather revert to VMs alternative.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 2.61K
  • 51
  • 374
Problem sorter
1,112 Views
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: No ITV HD on catch-up


@nodrogd wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

An old thread but still relevant....

I wanted to watch something on the ITV Hub last night but couldn't believe they ONLY have SD content and NO HD content - even when using my Smart TV's dedicated ITV Hub app.....??!

Is this the norm for the ITV Hub - do they not provide any HD content in their Hub, not matter which device you're using to watch?

🤔

 


Your answer is in my previous post above. You are not using the ITV Hub app, it’s just a link to VMs playout system. When ITV decides to cough up & pay for a TiVO app you will get the full service. I hope it works better than the STV app, as looking by the complaints I have seen so far people up in Scotland they would rather revert to VMs alternative.


...I think you missed the part when I said ".....even when using my Smart TV's dedicated ITV Hub app" I'm not using VM's app - my app on my TV is indeed the 'ITV Hub app', its not a link???!? 

😕

__________________________________________________________
Husband, Dad, Gamer, Gadget Lover......
Twitter: @deans6571
0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 14.83K
  • 1.62K
  • 3.35K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
1,107 Views
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: No ITV HD on catch-up

My mistake as it is in the V6 thread & is about VMs service.

My guess is that ITV have lumped all the HD content on to the pay version of the Hub, which is also ad free.

https://help.itv.com/hc/en-us/categories/115000084473-ITV-Hub-

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
  • 2.59K
  • 211
  • 450
Trouble shooter
1,081 Views
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: No ITV HD on catch-up

Only 2 things to add..

All terrestrial catch-up content is now at least 30days not 7.

Assuming the OP has a TiVo or a V6 recording box, then by all means use CatchUp if you've missed something, but why not record ITV programmes from Ch113 instead? HD resolved at a stroke 🙂

0 Kudos
Reply