Menu
rudiano
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No HDR or Atmos on BT Sport Ultimate

Hi, I have noticed that I have had no HDR or Dolby Atmos when playing BT Sport Ulitmate for several months now. I have a LG C9 TV and a Samsung HW-Q90 Soundbar which are both setup properly (i.e. soundbar connected to ARC HDMI on TV, V6 Box connected to HDMI on TV, HDMI deep colour setting enabled, 2160p passthrough on the V6 box).

Usually when I play HDR content the "HDR" logo appears at the top right of the screen, and if the content is Dolby Atmos then "Dolby Atmos" appears on the small screen on the soundbar, but this never happens when I watch BT Sport Ultimate now. It didnt work during the Champions League final in August (which I assume would have had HDR/Atmos) or in the Everton vs West Brom match on Saturday just gone.

Why could this be happening? Also how do I even know what programme will be in HDR/Atmos as the TV Guide on the V6 box/BT Website doesnt even state Atmos or HDR.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Richardr1
Up to speed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: No HDR or Atmos on BT Sport Ultimate

As far as I am aware, we don't get HDR on any broadcast channel, including BT Sport Ultimate.

We do get Dolby Atmos on that channel alone, but at the moment seemingly only on the live Rugby originated in the UK and shown on the channel - for some reason it was on the Premier League football last season, but has not been present this season so far.

Unfortunately the Virgin Media EPG doesn't indicate Dolby Atmos, so the only way of checking is watching a programme and letting the TV and / or AV amplifier show the sound type received. The football so far this season has used Dolby Digital Plus.

There has been recent comment in the related discussion "Intermittent sound on Btsport 4K".

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No platform has ever had BT Sport Ultimate in HDR.

The only way to access HDR on Ultimate is to subscribe direct to BT and use their streaming service on selected HDR devices.

Atmos only appears to be on rugby at present but is working on VM.

Finally - nowhere gives you both Atmos and HDR at the same time.

Even BT customers have to choose HDR or Atmos.

@rudiano wrote:

Hi, I have noticed that I have had no HDR or Dolby Atmos when playing BT Sport Ulitmate for several months now. I have a LG C9 TV and a Samsung HW-Q90 Soundbar which are both setup properly (i.e. soundbar connected to ARC HDMI on TV, V6 Box connected to HDMI on TV, HDMI deep colour setting enabled, 2160p passthrough on the V6 box).

Usually when I play HDR content the "HDR" logo appears at the top right of the screen, and if the content is Dolby Atmos then "Dolby Atmos" appears on the small screen on the soundbar, but this never happens when I watch BT Sport Ultimate now. It didnt work during the Champions League final in August (which I assume would have had HDR/Atmos) or in the Everton vs West Brom match on Saturday just gone.

Why could this be happening? Also how do I even know what programme will be in HDR/Atmos as the TV Guide on the V6 box/BT Website doesnt even state Atmos or HDR.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Richardr1 wrote:

As far as I am aware, we don't get HDR on any broadcast channel, including BT Sport Ultimate.

It's happened at least once when VM broadcast the French Open 2019 matches from the Phillipe Chatrier court in 4K with HLG. Viewers had to to press the red button on their remote on Eurosport 1 HD (channel 521), Eurosport 2 HD (channel 522) or Virgin TV Ultra HD (channel 205 and 999).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Richardr1
Up to speed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Before I had a 4K TV (which was only earlier this year) 😁

If the OP wants to check - the live rugby on 531 now is in Dolby Atmos (and looks a pretty good picture to me at least).

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Richardr1 wrote:

We do get Dolby Atmos on that channel alone, but at the moment seemingly only on the live Rugby originated in the UK and shown on the channel - for some reason it was on the Premier League football last season, but has not been present this season so far.

Last season they had crowds in the grounds. The only real audio on PL matches currently is players and coaches shouting at each other, can't see them bothering to capture and broadcast that as Dolby Atmos or the fake crowd noise. Although I suppose the rugby is in the same boat so would seem equally pointless 🤔

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Presumably they'd have to buy a licence to use Atmos/HDR, which indeed would be a bad business decision just to give the viewer fake crowd noise and a slightly better picture on kit that supports it.  The possible irony is that it would be a repeat of last year's (edited, due to player transfers/manager changes etc.) crowd noise. It's the equivalent of canned laughter for 2020.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos
rudiano
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"No platform has ever had BT Sport Ultimate in HDR."

That is not true, BT Sport Ultimate used to be HDR when viewing it on my V6 box. I remember the "HDR" logo appearing on my TV when I watched some football matches in the past. For some reason they removed it

0 Kudos
rudiano
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"No platform has ever had BT Sport Ultimate in HDR."

That is not true, BT Sport Ultimate used to be HDR when viewing it on my V6 box. I remember the "HDR" logo appearing on my TV when I watched some football matches in the past. For some reason they removed it

Edit: sorry for the repost, I was trying to respond to "ozsat" but my comment isnt directly replying to them 😕

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You can trick the tv into psudo HDR - but BT have never used it other than there app.

@rudiano wrote:

Edit: sorry for the repost, I was trying to respond to "ozsat" but my comment isnt directly replying to them 😕

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos