Menu
Jon68
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

New customer problems

Good morning all. Well, after being a customer of sky for well over 20 years I thought I'd give virgin a try

Negotiated a deal with a local salesman for a decent package deal, and had it installed last week (22/12)

I work nights and was in bed when the engineer installed it. 

Came down to discover its the v6 not the 360 as promised

So I messaged the rep. There's a shortage of boxes and we will swap you ASAP 

OK I'm not over the moon but I'll manage 

TV seemed fine although almost zero 4k content compared to sky q uhd

Then I tried catch up... No service try again in a few minutes 

The same for on demand, apps, help, etc 

I'm a truck driver not an I t expert but I've been having a look at the various diagnostics it let's you try, the codes are various but mainly v201.

And in port tests it says various codes are faulty 

I've spoken to customer services this morning (not the easiest to understand if I'm being honest and very quietly spoken).

I think he was telling me to give it 48hrs and someone will be in touch?

Not a very good start I've got to say, although the internet is blisteringly quick.

Fingers crossed it gets sorted soon or virgin may be getting it all back 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New customer problems

Firstly, everyone's experience and opinion will differ here - but for my money, I'd choose a V6 over a V360 any day for the moment. In time, that'll change I'm sure - but for now 😉

Forget the port codes test, that often fails on perfectly working systems (mine included)

Your V6 connects to the internet via your VM homehub, and everything you describe seems symptomatic of the box not having an internet connection. How do you think your V6 connects to your homehub - is it using Ethernet or WiFi?

On the V6.. follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and look in the top-right corner. The box shows your connection status (and if appropriate, your WiFi strength) in here, what is shown?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jon68
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Its connected over WiFi. Its showing signal strength as being 92% (excellent) 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Some Vxxx codes can indicate temporary local issues, there's also the simple fix of restarting your box which you've not mentioned trying.

Can you also try using the OnDemand speed test, as I suspect this uses the same ports on the V6 box as VOD does. Home > Help & Settings > Help > (top-line) Speed test

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

When you run the speed test, if you press OK it just tells you if it's suitable for TV broadcast, however if you press the play button on the remote (same area as pause and forward/rewind) it will show the set top boxes connected upload and download speeds.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jon68
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It wont let me do this. The requested application is currently unavailable (a01) 

0 Kudos
Jon68
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I've  tried resetting the box yes.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Firstly, a little forum-tip for you... after posting, you have a short-time to edit an existing post rather than further replies. In the top-right of your post under "options", the drop-down list includes "edit" 😉

Next suggestion - can you load, say, ther BBC iPlayer or ITV/C4/C5 apps manually?

Follow Home > Apps > (take your pick) - does it load then? And if it does, can you watch any programmes?

Jon68
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

No it won't let me into any of the apps at all. I've tv. No other functions. 

It's showing as connected. But obviously I've my doubts the same as you. 

All these appear to be connection problems. The engineer said it was all fine to my wife, and I've seen his check sheet he left with all the boxes ticked. Would using an ethernet cable make Any difference? And would any be suitable or does it need a specific one?

Thanks very much for your help by the way it's much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As far as the permanent solution goes, Ethernet is always the recommended way of connecting a V6 to your homehub if possible - it just eliminates all the extra variables that WiFi introduces.

For testing purposes, any Cat5 cable upwards should do.

Everything about what you've said thus far indicates your box is online & connected, but the behaviour suggests otherwise. The only other thing I can think of is to check the regular 6hourly "calls home" are working.. home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and check the left-hand-side.

I'm not aware of anything at account-level that could cause this behaviour...