Menu
soundman57
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New V6 box will not verify

I've set up my new V6 box as per the instructions using a wifi connection as the Hub 3 is in the hall and the V6 box in our lounge on a shelf under the Samsung TV. It's too awkward to run an ethernet cable from the Hub 3 through the house to the V6.

To improve the wifi signal throughout the house, I have a TP Link Deco M4 MESH system linked to the Hub 3 with the router function changed to modem. The Deco box in our lounge is placed about 400mm away from the V6 box so the signal here should be very good. The Deco app on my phone is showing the MESH system can 'see' the V6 box, the Amazon Firestick, 2 mobile phones and my PC.

I've tried the setup/installing software routine on the V6 a few times, rebooting it too when it won't complete because it can't 'verify'. Virgin's automated system says they've sent a signal to allow this but I'm wondering how this can be confirmed?

Am I missing something? The Amazon Firestick and other devices work fine via the MESH system. I rang the tech help line and a guy tried to help but couldn't offer anything specific. He's going to send 2 booster boxes to try. Any advice much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Up to speed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New V6 box will not verify

Have you plugged in the coax RF connection?  The V6 requires a Coax connection to the network as well as WiFi/Ethernet

0 Kudos
soundman57
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. Does the V6 box not have aerials for wifi built-in? Or, is the co-ax lead you mention essential to get a wireless connection?

The software download seems to run ok up to the verify part so I think there's already a wifi connection from the Deco MESH box close to the V6...

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

All Virgin TV boxes need a coax cable connection - this is what carries the live TV channels.

All V6 boxes need a connection to a VM home-hub in order to access the internet - this is what provides EPG updates, OnDemand services and a few other functions. This connection can be wireless or via Ethernet cable. Whether your homehub doubles as the router, or is in modem mode with your own router - immaterial.

If both of these connections are not present, you will hit problems sooner or later.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos