Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

New V6 box keeps dropping all channels

Hi...

I received  a quick start kit 28th October, i.e. V6 box and Hub 3, as part of a new contract. I set everything up and got everything up and running, but after a glitch on the first attempt, where not all channels loaded up.       All was okay for the best part of an hour until the channel dropped and I got error code W02. I rebooted and services resumed...there was a message in top left of home screen--C133--and after a minute this cleared and the 4 preview screens came up. Normal service lasted 15 minutes then W02 again. Rebooted.... same result. Went online for advice and checked all cabling which was fine - there is only so much that you can push in and tighten the white cabling nut!  I have also swapped HDMI port on my TV  and the cable itself. HDMI not the issue as the V6 talks to the TV after the channels have dropped, i.e. I can get the Home screen. As I kept rebooting, the time period in which I had channel service reduced until it was down to 3 minutes.

I have done some periodic testing over the last couple of days. First, I started up the V6 after it had been off overnight. After 35 minutes the channels dropped with code W02. I switched off the V6 and left it for a couple of hours, I did this 3 times and the channel service times were 25, 38, and 32 minutes, before I lost the channels.

As a second test, I rebooted the V6 after switching off (and removing plug from socket), and rebooting after a couple of minutes. I continued to do this a number of times. The channels were up 35, 5,11, 2 and 2 minutes....after which I gave up. One thing I noticed was that the V6 warmed up over the duration of this test. Not hot, but warm. I had read about sufficient vent space so gave the box 20cm headroom and retested. From cold, I got channels for 31,23 and 40 minutes before crashing. When I rebooted the V6 after a couple of minutes each time it crashed I got 55, 10, 4, 4 minutes. The difference between getting 30/40 minutes of channel service, and the decreasing times was, as I said,  the V6 starting up from cold or from being increasingly warmed up.

I have had a conversation with the Tech/Faults guys - they are 'monitoring', but I wondered if any engineers or techies on here have any views as to what might be the issue. Clearly a fault somewhere, and very concerning as I have only just received this equipment.

Cheers 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New V6 box keeps dropping all channels

I fear your assumption that tech guys are "monitoring" your connection is probably C/S code for "let's say something to get you off the phone", I hope I'm doing them a disservice.

W02 is classic "No signal" error code, and fundamentally you have a fault that's causing poor TV signal/loss of signal. If the box is crashing as often as you describe, that fault could potentially be the box tuners.

Are there any specific channels (including HD/SD?) you can identify as being particularly bad? It may just be that (without you realising) multiple channels from the same broadcast mux are affected.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: New V6 box keeps dropping all channels

No there are no specific bad channels that are affected, I have been on Sky news, ITV,  BBC and C4, so it seems to be across the board.

I have also scrolled through the Guide list and each channel has the same error code.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos