Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New V6 box activation

Hi,

Just a quick query. We're getting a second V6 box delivered tomorrow. The installation guide on my.virginmeda.com says the new V6 boxes are automatic activation. But we were given an activation code on the phone the other day and told that once the box is activated that will start our new plan with the new channels (Sky Movies, Sky Sports, kids pack). Also, broadband is going up to M500. So do I need to phone up VM and give them the box the activation code or is it as the website says, automatic activation? And once the box is activated, all the upgrade benefits (extra channels, faster broadband etc.) will start?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New V6 box activation

Just on the specifics of the activation process, replacement TV boxes are normally sent out pre-activated and all you need to is connect them and power them up.

There have been some recent issues with this not working, and new equipment needing to be manually activated. If this happens, then a call to 0800 9539500 should have it sorted - often using an automated system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi dduk100,

You should just be able to click on the activation code on the phone (can't recall offhand but I think it says GO) once you've set up your new V6

Aside from that VM have recently started pre-activating their equipment, and the box should call "home" and be activated within 30 minutes, however sometimes this fails and the advice is to sign into Service status at the top of this page and run a test against the equipment you are installing. By doing this VM will be able to reboot the box or put you in touch with the right team.

The braodband speed should increase at the same time as the V6 is activated, hwoever you may need to reboot the hub for it to take effect.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated. I've re-booted my superhub but my internet speed still hasn't increased.

Also, during installation it didn't give me the option to programme my remote to operate my tv and I've tried going to the Help section of Help and Settings but it just says One Moment but doesn't load the Help section. Any ideas what's going on there?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I managed to eventually set my remote control to control my tv (after rebooting my box which allowed me to access the Help setting, then going through every Philips code it gave me and then following the final instructions on the next screen which worked).

But my broadband speed has still not increased to 500mb.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If I do a wired connection from my laptop to my superhub I get my new upgraded speed of around 500mb but on wifi I'm still just getting my old speed of around 200mb.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi dduk100,

VM don't guarantee wifi speeds as there are too many things that can interfere with the reception. Wifi can also vary by device, for example some mobiles have better inbuilt radios which helps with the wifi reception, the NIC on a laptop.

You might be able to do some fine tuning to increase your wifi speeds.

Try splitting the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz signals. 2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add  a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes, then you will be able to tell if your devices are connecting to 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

You could also do a search for an app such as inssider or wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@dduk100 wrote:
If I do a wired connection from my laptop to my superhub I get my new upgraded speed of around 500mb but on wifi I'm still just getting my old speed of around 200mb.

You might want to post in the broadband section here - but if you're getting the correct speeds over wired, then there's not much VM can realistically do. This is the TV section and I don't want to go OT into WiFi issues, but there are so many more variables that are specific to your particular home & equipment. Not to mention all the other WiFi equipment that your immediate neighbours might be using.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos